CD40106BE Oscillator Not Working HELP!

PandaHero23

Joined Jun 16, 2016
It should look like this.

Your resistor looks like a 10k, not 100k. If you don't have a yellow band, 100k resistor, then you'll definitely need a bigger cap. I think your 0.1F will be flashing 100x per second (100hz) and you won't tell if it is on or off by sight (you'll need a scope or signal counter).

Use a cap in the range of 10u to start out with a 100k resistor. Adjust parts from there.

As I mentioned above. Put a buffering, extra, inverter between RC network and LED. Also use the current limiting resistor on the LED.

See below

View attachment 107839
thanks for the schematic! :) i followed the schematic and made the circuit but for some reason i got no output, i double checked the connections and made sure everything was right but still no output. i must be doing something wrong or my chips are faulty :confused:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
thanks for the schematic! :) i followed the schematic and made the circuit but for some reason i got no output, i double checked the connections and made sure everything was right but still no output. i must be doing something wrong or my chips are faulty :confused:
If you used that chip to light the LED directly, use a different chip. The output is likely fried because of excess current.

Where in the world are you located?

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
here is the 106 running off a rc network, with the led buffered by another gate.

As you can see, the high is around 3v min. so a led with Vfwd less than that would not be able to produce a signal on the output that will be considered "high" by the input.

that's the root of your problem.

Attachments

PandaHero23

Joined Jun 16, 2016
If you used that chip to light the LED directly, use a different chip. The output is likely fried because of excess current.

Where in the world are you located?
i replaced the chip and battery for the circuit, heres a video of it when its on (and to answer your question i live in the US :))
(sorry if theres any glitches in the video)

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
That LED is shorted by the links in the breadboard. You need to move the lead of the LED connected to the resistor away from the 40106 and of course move the resistor to the same place.