CD Player backlit LCD lamps

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
I'm trying to repair a Gemini 620 dual CD Player...Each LCD display has three very small (grain of wheat?) bulbs per side, wired to a very small circuit board. Schematic says they are 7volt, 42ma. They are soldered with wire leads, and in parallel. Measuring with meter I'm seeing a little over 7volts at the beginning of the little circuit. I can't seem to find a match of the bulbs...Any ideas? I think the circuit has a power regulator (?) and a diode. I thought about going my sometimes typical "jackleg" route and just wire in a wallwart supply and change bulbs, but other than being a less than optimum solution, I'm concerned that wrong size could be too hot inside that small display...

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
Sure that would be fine, but I did try three that were labeled as 5volt and they didn't light. I believe on one strip the last one actually fried...
So not sure the exact specs/components I'd need. Also, these small original incandescents had a little green rubber cover on them, to light the display in green...

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
That thing is easy.
You can choose any lighter color LED's.
As said above you need to use operate resistors for each LED cause the bulbs are in parallel

5V across LED will burn it. So you need resistors across EACH LED

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
(Just happened to think, maybe not so good that I posted full photos? Maybe it should be thumbnails? My apologies if so. Let me know)

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
Just to make sure I understand terminology, that would mean: looking at the little PCB horizontally, the LEDs installed vertically, one leg in top row trace, the other leg in the bottom row trace. The resistors installed just before each resistor on the same row trace...yes? (Sorry I tend to over analyze)