CD 4017 Reset issue

Chris65536

Joined Nov 11, 2019
Even more confused now. Still don't understand why you're pushing one output against another.
It's not shown on the Excel drawing, but I think each output pair is connected to one of the 8 output transistors shown on the lower left. He doesn't show the connections, but it looks like the vertical positions of the lines would match up.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hello again,

I'm not sure its what the TS wants but here is what I came up with based on the previous posts

eT

1574887320861.png

Last edited:

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Thanks you for all your suggestions. Let me see if I can clarify a bit more by supplying my whole schematic. You will see that there are no LED's in the drawing, I merely inserted them to see what was going on.
This is a Figuera Generator. All transistors (T1 - T8) are Darlington BDX53C. All resistors (R1 - R8) are 68 ohms
The sequence of the final pulsed output is shown in the second attachment.
I have put pull down resistorView attachment 193225View attachment 193226s on all unused inputs of the CD 4081.
Hi

Questions..

Are R1-R8 load resistors? Base resistors?
The circuit would be better if you used mosfets for the drive transistors instead of BJTs. How much load current does each transistor drive?
Does the output need to be able to reverse polarity?

I didn't show these on the schematic post #22 but will update it after you reply.

eT

Last edited:

rovies

Joined Nov 26, 2019
Even more confused now. Still don't understand why you're pushing one output against another. After reading several more comments, are you NOT using LED's? From diagram #2 - are you trying to make an up-down counter? Really just not sure what you're trying to do. And if you're pushing one output against another and you're using LED's, are they multi color?
Hi, Please have a look at the attachment that relates to sequencing. The outputs must run in this sequence 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1, repeatedly. On the way up the sequence (from 1 to 7) the output comes from the one counter, and on the way down (from 7 to 1) the output comes from the other counter. Sequence number 8 comes from pins 6 and 9 of the first counter.
I am not qualified to understand nor answer some of the questions, because I have just started to dabble in electronics as a retirement hobby.
This whole thing is based on a youtube video by Patrick Kelly on the Figuera Generator. Here is a pictorial attached, but only showing 2 pairs of outputs for clarification.
Take the outputs from pins 6 and 9 as an example. The output to the right-hand coils will pass thru 0 resistors, whilst the output to the left-hand coils will have to pass thru 7 resistors.
The outputs from pins 10 and 7 will have to pass thru 4 resistors to the coils on the left, and 3 resistors to the coils on the right.
The claim is that the Lenz Law effect will be minimal since (1) there is always current flowing thru each set of primary (green) electromagnets, and (2) the current is always in the same direction, and (3) the current never reaches zero

Attachments

rovies

Joined Nov 26, 2019
It's not shown on the Excel drawing, but I think each output pair is connected to one of the 8 output transistors shown on the lower left. He doesn't show the connections, but it looks like the vertical positions of the lines would match up.
Yes Chris65536, each pair is connected to one of the 8 output transistors.

rovies

Joined Nov 26, 2019
From what I believe I can see - your reset from CD4017-2, pin 9 should go to BOTH resets. Otherwise when CD4017-2 goes into reset it remains in reset holding CD4017-1 in the reset mode. Until you clear CD4017-2 your chips won't run beyond that point.
I apologize. Your suggestion of resetting both counters from pin 9 of CD4017-2 does work. Thank you

rovies

Joined Nov 26, 2019
Even more confused now. Still don't understand why you're pushing one output against another. After reading several more comments, are you NOT using LED's? From diagram #2 - are you trying to make an up-down counter? Really just not sure what you're trying to do. And if you're pushing one output against another and you're using LED's, are they multi color?
Hi Tony, please read my most recent post. I hope that this will throw some light on the matter

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Thank you for the effort.

From what I can gather, you're making an up-down counter. What doesn't make sense (now) is how your coils are wired in series and the switches (if they're relays) are also wired in series. Specifically - what are you trying to build? Is this some sort of free energy device? Can you link the YouTube video? (copy and paste the http address)

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
For an up/down counter it seems more reasonable to use an up/down counter IC, which there are quite a few of them available. With 4 its binary it can count from zero to 15 if you want. One counter IC, and one decoder IC and all kinds of possibilities. And another option would be to use a "Knight Rider" circuit, which I came across on the "free information society" website several years ago. That circuit repeatedly counted back and forth as I recall.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
@MisterBill2 That "Knight Rider" circuit also came to mind. And I agree, IF (big "IF") you're building an up-down counter, there ARE chips for that. OR even you could simply use a microprocessor and a little programming and you can achieve EXACTLY whatever it is you're attempting to build. I'd still like to see that video you mentioned.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
@MisterBill2 That "Knight Rider" circuit also came to mind. And I agree, IF (big "IF") you're building an up-down counter, there ARE chips for that. OR even you could simply use a microprocessor and a little programming and you can achieve EXACTLY whatever it is you're attempting to build. I'd still like to see that video you mentioned.
Any microprocessor MUST BE PROGRAMMED and that can be a lot more complex than designing a circuit where everything can be shown on a truth table. And creating that code requires additional hardware of some variety, and quite often some kind of software to produce that program in a format that the micro can accept.
And I am wondering as to what video ? and where that energy capture device was part of. I recall seeing that picture but have no recollection of the context. Certainly this site should allow the de-bunking of such claims, since spreading truth and insight appears to me to be a goal of the process here.

And additional thinking concerning using those 4017 counters is that a set of two quad 2-input or gates would be a better choice than a bunch of logic diodes, and a lot simpler to understand.

rovies

Joined Nov 26, 2019
Sorry everyone. I was not aware that this sort of topic is not allowed.
Nevertheless, the problem in my original post has been solved, and I have learned a lot, for which I thank you.
I have also learned how little I know about electronics

rovies

Joined Nov 26, 2019
On a point of clarification - yes this will be an up/down counter.
This project has proved to be very complex for a newbie (me) to take on.
I have to ask myself why no-one has ever said that the topic in the video (above) works, and is commercially viable.
In the end it may prove to be a fruitless exercise, but at least I can console myself by saying that I have gained a bit of experience

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
On a point of clarification - yes this will be an up/down counter.
This project has proved to be very complex for a newbie (me) to take on.
I have to ask myself why no-one has ever said that the topic in the video (above) works, and is commercially viable.
In the end it may prove to be a fruitless exercise, but at least I can console myself by saying that I have gained a bit of experience
Yes...indeed...it is really an up/down counter. That is obvious from the sequence chart.
I've looked at the video showing the analysis of the generator, that also proposes the CD4017 circuit.
The CD4017 may seem to work, but it doesn't do everything the analysis says the mechanical representation of the coil switching does. So, if I were going to experiment with this, I would use a more flexible coil driver...but that's another story. ;)

eT

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Yes...indeed...it is really an up/down counter. That is obvious from the sequence chart.
I've looked at the video showing the analysis of the generator, that also proposes the CD4017 circuit.
The CD4017 may seem to work, but it doesn't do everything the analysis says the mechanical representation of the coil switching does. So, if I were going to experiment with this, I would use a more flexible coil driver...but that's another story. ;)

eT
CERTAINLY you do NOT want to drive an inductance with a 4017, or most standard CMOS ic devices, because they are not designed to handle an inductive spike with much energy. And for the counter circuit, there are published ways to cascade the 4017 devices, that work and are simpler than the proposed circuit.

As for that device in the video, free energy machines are all frauds, but some are far more interesting frauds. And some are even entertaining frauds. I favor labeling them as such and letting folks look at them. But I dion't run the show here so the best I cann do is suggest.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
AMAZING! This thread is about building an OVER UNITY device (a.k.a. Free Energy). The video I posted showed the same exact illustrations the Thread Starter (TS) had posted. I'm amazed the sthread is still open. Over Unity devices are a prohibited topic. For someone to take action against the posting of the video - which I kind of expected - came without fully investigating the accusation I was making against this thread. If I could find the video so can anyone else. And yes, this thread IS trying to build an OU device.

MODERATORS TAKE NOTE!

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
And I am wondering as to what video ?
I did a YouTube search of "Patrick Kelly on the Figuera Generator".
This whole thing is based on a youtube video by Patrick Kelly on the Figuera Generator.
Anyone who "YouTube's" this video will quickly discover it'a an OU device. I even posted the video but it was deleted by moderators because OU devices are a prohibited topic. Sorry, I can't post the video again as it will be deleted and I may be subject to sanctions, which I don't want. However, I stand behind my claim this is an OU device. (Over Unity).

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
How on earth did he draw that schematic in Excel?

So this is an OU thread?
TS says that his original issue is solved.
Time gentlemen, last call.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
CERTAINLY you do NOT want to drive an inductance with a 4017, or most standard CMOS ic devices, because they are not designed to handle an inductive spike with much energy. And for the counter circuit, there are published ways to cascade the 4017 devices, that work and are simpler than the proposed circuit.
Heh...Of course I don’t.
I wouldn’t use 4017 at all.

As for that device in the video, free energy machines are all frauds, but some are far more interesting frauds. And some are even entertaining frauds. I favor labeling them as such and letting folks look at them. But I dion't run the show here so the best I cann do is suggest.
Agreed...
I’m only suggesting that a different, more flexible, circuit be used to mimic the mechanical switching...

eT

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I did a YouTube search of "Patrick Kelly on the Figuera Generator".
Anyone who "YouTube's" this video will quickly discover it'a an OU device. I even posted the video but it was deleted by moderators because OU devices are a prohibited topic. Sorry, I can't post the video again as it will be deleted and I may be subject to sanctions, which I don't want. However, I stand behind my claim this is an OU device. (Over Unity).
heh..relax..
The sky will not fall because of an OU post. :)

eT