CAT 5E/6 Ethernet Switcher

Scarthos

Joined Oct 9, 2014
I am a computer enthusiast and network engineer looking to work my way into electronics/circuitry as a hobby. (Read: "I'm a Novice")

I have a test environment of networking hardware (switches, routers, etc.) that I have to console into frequently. At the moment I have a single DB9 on the back of my computer and I am constantly having to go over to the equipment and move the console cable between devices as I need to access them. I was wondering if there was a device similar to a KVM that I might be able to use to switch between multiple RJ45 connections. (If you aren't aware, the console cable is a DB9 on the PC end and a RJ45 on the equipment end.) I have failed to find a One-to-Many switcher for this type of application, so I figured I would look into making one. However, as previously stated, I'm a bit of a novice. I don't know what components I would need or what the schematic would even look like.

I would like some advice as to where to start and what I might need to build a prototype.

Thanks in advance!

Scarthos

Joined Oct 9, 2014
As I continued to search, I stumbled upon this. This is ultimately what I would like to accomplish. A simple switch that sends the signal to a different RJ45 port. Thoughts?

Scarthos

Joined Oct 9, 2014
Thanks for the input kubeek! That's a good find and I will definitely be looking into it.

I'm still curious if it is possible to create a 'dumb' switch that does nothing more than send the electrical signals down a different path using RJ45 ports as the interfaces. If so, what would be needed?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Just a big clunkin mechanical switch and a bunch of connectors? Depends on how fancy you want to go and how much would the mechanical switch actually cost.
Doing it elctronically is not too hard either, especially if you need only tx and rx, and not the rest of the flow signals.