Carputer hardware help

onebigburb

Joined Aug 23, 2023
Hello,
Hoping to get some help in hardware design to make a carputer. I know enough to get myself in trouble. I am looking to build a carputer. Slightly lost on harware options ect. I dont want a traditional carputer in the sense of some software/funtions. My goal is to build one with following functions. Normal am/fm radio, xm radio ( I already pay for subscriptions so dont need a hack of some kind),cd player, bluetooth, usb input/output, aux input, rca output for amplifier, obd 2 function with code read out and clearing option, and last I have an lcd tuner that has up down and a number display I want to re-create this digitally on carputer screen with a pin lock to allow changes to be made.

I know the last 2 are harder to pull off, but there is a will there is a way. Also I know there is aurdino and raspberry pi that can do this stuff. Do not know which is better for this.

I have read alot about this. Everybuild or write up has alot of options I dont want like navigation, internet ect... Any help on what hardware I need to start with is appreciated.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
You are not seeking to build a computer as they are normally called. That is an entertainment system, minus the home theater items.

Did you really mean " carputer ", as built into a car?? And what would be the use of the USB and Bluetooth abilities? And if it has a screen, what would be presented on the screen besides a control panel??
My suggestion is to prepare a list of requirements and visit one of the very high-end audio shops to see what is available.

onebigburb

Joined Aug 23, 2023
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carputer

This link may help you understand. It is a newer coined term. Audio shop would be of no use to me in this. The idea is basically like modern cars have what they call "info-tainment" systems. More or less it is a control panel think hmi. Usb has a few reasons mainly to connect to computer to build interface. Bluetooth is for audio purpose and phone connection. The list above is my requirements. My problem is chosing which hardware to start with from audino or rasp pi. I need to select correct hardware to meet the demands of system to be built. If you google carputer you will see alot of builds. Each build is custom built depending on applications you want.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006

This link may help you understand. It is a newer coined term. Audio shop would be of no use to me in this. The idea is basically like modern cars have what they call "info-tainment" systems. More or less it is a control panel think hmi. Usb has a few reasons mainly to connect to computer to build interface. Bluetooth is for audio purpose and phone connection. The list above is my requirements. My problem is chosing which hardware to start with from audino or rasp pi. I need to select correct hardware to meet the demands of system to be built. If you google carputer you will see alot of builds. Each build is custom built depending on applications you want.
The nature of your request is hardly well defined. In my 50 years in the consulting business this is exactly the kind of project I would not touch. When your requirements are not well defined there is no way to determine what done means. This kind of project is subject to feature creep where the requirements keep changing as new ideas are developed. Your best bet is to find somebody who has already done this. A generalist will be of little to no help to you.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

I would find a small format, DC power supply PC for the carputer. This widens the possibilities of software that can be used in the Windows and Linux worlds.
https://www.mini-box.com/Car-PC-System-Components

onebigburb

Joined Aug 23, 2023
The nature of your request is hardly well defined. In my 50 years in the consulting business this is exactly the kind of project I would not touch. When your requirements are not well defined there is no way to determine what done means. This kind of project is subject to feature creep where the requirements keep changing as new ideas are developed. You best bet is to find somebody who has already done this. A generalist will be of little to no help to you.
Why bother commenting? Your response is not helpful at all. You have obviously no exprience with a carputer of any form? There is a bunch of resources out there like this https://www.autopi.io/blog/build-a-...l undoubtedly improve your driving experience. I simply dont want some of the extras that most build into them.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Why bother commenting? Your response is not helpful at all. You have obviously no exprience with a carputer of any form? There is a bunch of resources out there like this https://www.autopi.io/blog/build-a-raspberry-pi-touch-screen-car-computer/#:~:text=Raspberry Pi custom car computer (carputer) is a,Pi carputer will undoubtedly improve your driving experience. I simply dont want some of the extras that most build into them.
Why bother? Well I'm trying to help you refine your requirements for help because they are not all that clear. I have done automotive and industrial electronics and networking for a long time so to say I lacked experience would be inaccurate.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Certainly there were quite a few details that were only slightly defined, among them "carputer", and it is a serious challenge to satisfy an undefined goal.
And hitting us with a new term that is rather broad in scope, asking for the design of a nebulously described product, will not be accepted as a valid project by those of us who have been creating accurate results to well defined requests.
THAT is why I suggested a HIGH END audio shop, which is probably where such creations came from initially.
Then you also have the need for the assembly of parts to be physically durable enough to continue to function in an automotive environment.
AND ONE MORE THING IS THAT IN A CAR, THE MAIN FOCUS MUST BE KEPT ON DRIVING IN A REASONABLY SAFE MANNER, WHICH TAKES FOCUSED ATTENTION!!