Capacitor sizing for no-Amp load - Bridge Rectifier

jagermini

Joined Dec 19, 2017
Hi folks!

I've got an alternator providing 3 phase voltage at 12.4V AC. I'm putting one of these phases through a full wave rectifier diode bridge, which brings it down to around 11V DC or thereabouts.
This is then going through a voltage divider, and into an Arduino to measure voltage.
I can't find any formula for capacitor size calculation to smooth out the ripple of the regulated voltage, that doesn't include current. Since I'm sending it into an Arduino, I believe there is no current draw.

Is there another formula to calculate this, without needing a current value?

Or can I just stick in a 100uF capacitor and expect it to do a reasonable job??

jagermini

Joined Dec 19, 2017
Hi Eric!

I'm using a 3.3kOhm and 9.1kOhm to bring the 11V DC down to around 3 Volts for the Arduino.

Those figures are approximate as I don't have my notes with me, but it's as indicated, or very close.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi j,
With 100uF and a low 50Hz this is the ripple level.
E

Update: @jagermini
I guess you know that when your 12.4Vac is full wave rectified and smoothed the Vcap = (12.4v *1.4) - 2*Vdiode voltage drop = ~16Vdc, so the 9k1 resistor value will have to be increased to ensure the Arduino input is still 3Vdc.? Change the 9k1 to 15k

Attachments

Last edited:

jagermini

Joined Dec 19, 2017
Ok, cheers guys for the responses. Yep, the current through the voltage divider, that is a fair point, had not occurred to me......!

I'll have a look at those links, thanking ye!