Capacitor in Voltmeter

MartinV

Joined Jun 2, 2011
I am not sure this is for the homework section, but I hope I'm not way off :)
So here's the thing: I have this circuit (where you can notice it's a highly sensitive voltmeter for small voltages (micro values and similar)), I am not sure that I got it right. The voltage at U2 will get negative at the moment the switch P1 closes because of the left "plate" of the capacitor (that used to be the one of higher potential) which goes to 0 (because of the ground) and the right one (of lower potential) goes to -Up(previous voltage witch switch opened).
Am I on the right track here?
The entire circuit (picture taken with a mobile phone, so sorry for the low quality):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It looks like a chopper stabelized amplifier circuit.
To avoid offsets the signal is chopped.
To smoothen the signal before the meter, there is a lowpass filter made by Rf and Cf.

Bertus

MartinV

Joined Jun 2, 2011
English is not my primary language, so I'll be very thankful if you could write it with some more simple expressions because I really don't understand the phrases you used :)
Thank you.
My question is if my conclusion about the work of that first Capacitor is okay?
The input Voltage is constant because the thermal difference is constant as well. And from what I understood this is used because of the similar voltage in the input as the voltage of the drift(or bias or something, I don't know the English word for it).