Capacitor id !

spike1947

Joined Feb 4, 2016
Are there any markings on the component itself?
It is unlikely to have failed. What do you want to find out about it?
I am just id-ing all the components on this 240/12v transformer built into the plug, it is from a old Habitat desk lamp, getting just mV's out of it, just need all the id and values , then will be doing a schematic of it using Eagle ! .

spike1947

Joined Feb 4, 2016
The device in the black heat shrink tubing (upper right) may be a fuse.
Possible failure points could be the diodes near that white rectangular thing on the right or Q1/Q2
Thanks for that info, did suspect that was what it was !
tks
Spike

Last edited:

PAFMC01

Joined Mar 20, 2013
It's not a capacitor, it is an inductor or transformer. If the ID printed on the board is T2, then it is a transformer.
I agree with AlbertHall. I have had inductors that look like that. Put a multimeter on low range onto its connections. If you read close to short then most likely it's an inductor. If you read more than a few tens of ohms then the test result is indeterminate as you may be reading from the components around it, or (unlikely), it is an open circuit inductor.

spike1947

Joined Feb 4, 2016
Will the
I agree with AlbertHall. I have had inductors that look like that. Put a multimeter on low range onto its connections. If you read close to short then most likely it's an inductor. If you read more than a few tens of ohms then the test result is indeterminate as you may be reading from the components around it, or (unlikely), it is an open circuit inductor.
Yeh it is nearly a short !
tks
Spike

spike1947

Joined Feb 4, 2016
OK, it seems that this will not work with a LED cob Bulb which was in it ( The LED bulb just lights and goes straight out ) , but have put a halogen bulb in and it works fine ! .
anything I can do to make it work with a LED cob bulb! .
Spike