Capacitor Conundrum

richbrune

Joined Oct 28, 2005
I recently purchased two large capactors. After desiging a circuit and a case that they would go in. I realized that the markings on the capacitor were wrong. I'd like to know if there's some kind of test that will tell for sure what the polartiy is, so I don't need to get a new hair-doo.

Attached is a photo of the capacitor. I think it's an electrolytic.

Thanks again,
Rich

pebe

Joined Oct 11, 2004
Originally posted by richbrune@Feb 3 2006, 10:21 PM
I recently purchased two large capactors. After desiging a circuit and a case that they would go in. I realized that the markings on the capacitor were wrong. I'd like to know if there's some kind of test that will tell for sure what the polartiy is, so I don't need to get a new hair-doo.

Attached is a photo of the capacitor. I think it's an electrolytic.

Thanks again,
Rich
[post=13785]Quoted post[/post]​
Can't see the photo. What is the capacity and voltage rating?

richbrune

Joined Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by pebe@Feb 3 2006, 04:35 PM
Can't see the photo. What is the capacity and voltage rating?
[post=13786]Quoted post[/post]​
I'll try again, but its a 70 volt, 3,600 MFD wit about a 2" diameter case and about 6" long.

pebe

Joined Oct 11, 2004
Originally posted by richbrune@Feb 3 2006, 10:43 PM
I'll try again, but its a 70 volt, 3,600 MFD wit about a 2" diameter case and about 6" long.
[post=13787]Quoted post[/post]​
You could try putting approx 10 volts on it via a 100 Ω resistor and measure the leakage current. Then discharge it and reverse the polarityand test again. You will probably find a difference in leakage current - correct polarity gives lowest current.