Capacitive touch sense switches

phiipe

Joined Mar 23, 2020
Hi I'm working on a project in which I will be using capacitive touch sense switches instead of just traditional buttons. I will be working in Eagle and I need help designing my own capacative touch sense switches. Im not quite sure how to create my own so heres what I need..

1 - 30mm x 18mm rectangle
4 - 28mm x 16mm rectangles
16 - 32mm x 32mm squares

..im not sure how to design these on my own so I'm hoping that someone could write me an easy to understand tutorial on how to design these using Eagle.

-Phil

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Just use the rectangle or polygon tools to draw them on the board. You can't name the nets for rectangles, but can for polygons.

phiipe

Joined Mar 23, 2020
I sort of tried doing this just a moment ago. I don't think I quite nailed it. Do you think you could write out a tutorial on what exact steps I need to take in order to do this??? Also, how would I wire the shapes back to the micro controller from the board view???

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
pour.jpg

The rectangle was created using the Rect command. The shape on the right was created with the Polygon tool and was named NET1 using the Name tool.

You can connect these shapes to any net, but it's more convenient if you use Polygon because you can name the net they're on.

phiipe

Joined Mar 23, 2020
Im currently using EAGLE 9.5.2, could you help me by showing me where id find these tools and how to use them for the version I have downloaded??? Is the tool called POLYGON EDGE???

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Im currently using EAGLE 9.5.2, could you help me by showing me where id find these tools and how to use them for the version I have downloaded??? Is the tool called POLYGON EDGE???
7.5.0 is the latest version I've installed.

The hints on the indicated buttons are "Rect" and "Polygon".
1585535419543.png

phiipe

Joined Mar 23, 2020
Ok, I think im starting to catch on. I do have other questions though. Has this method worked for you in the past? As in have you had a PCB board sent to you that worked after using these steps to create capacitive touch sensing switches. How can I check to make sure there is a connection between the capacitive touch sense switch I create with the polygon tool and the micro controller. So far, what I have tried was going to the schematic adding wire to I/O pins and naming them then going into the board creating a shape for the capacitive touch sense switch using the polygon tool then naming the net in correspondence with what I named the wire connected to the I/O pin while on the schematic, will this work? Is there a way I can show that wire does connect the switch and the micro controller?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Has this method worked for you in the past? As in have you had a PCB board sent to you that worked after using these steps to create capacitive touch sensing switches.
I still make my own boards, so have no experience with a PCB fab.

I've only used this to add places to install surface mount decoupling caps that I didn't care to add to the schematic.
Is there a way I can show that wire does connect the switch and the micro controller?
If you use polygons, you can name the net they're on and can use the Show command to highlight nets.