Capacitive touch buttons not seeing touch

1-3-2-4

Joined Dec 26, 2008
Anyone know and why it would be erratic or not sense touch at all? I'm not sure how on the backside of the plastic does the sensor mount I'm wondering if it's something simple or something that I need to return.

*edit

Just tried it again and it sensed my touch but it's still not 100% I'm sure after it warms up it will be hard to sense again.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Anyone know and why it would be erratic or not sense touch at all? I'm not sure how on the backside of the plastic does the sensor mount I'm wondering if it's something simple or something that I need to return.

*edit

Just tried it again and it sensed my touch but it's still not 100% I'm sure after it warms up it will be hard to sense again.
This can be do to a lot of factors: your fingers are dirty/wet/in scars. The capacitance of the object to touch with(fingers) is not high enough.

As far as I guess, these displays check the increase of capacitance between the finger and the display on touch, but normally it is recommended to use a pen or a resistive display.

Try to search for a way to calibrate the display(how much capacitance change is considered a touch), but I do not think you will get anything better than a single button on the screen, because they are very hard to make with multiple buttons(industrial secrets).

1-3-2-4

Joined Dec 26, 2008
It seems like if you leave it unplugged for awhile then plug it up to use it you wont have any issues.. however when it heats up that's when it's a bit harder to use. So what you are saying is each button has it's own sensor and it's not like a row?

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
It seems like if you leave it unplugged for awhile then plug it up to use it you wont have any issues.. however when it heats up that's when it's a bit harder to use. So what you are saying is each button has it's own sensor and it's not like a row?
I am saying that if you have ever seen on your phone sometimes its very hard to press the button you want, especially if typing fast, sometimes the phone is good and you can type without a problem. I think this part of the calibration will be hard to make.

Something affects the display and changes the capacitance, perhaps you can try moving to a different place where its colder (like outside) or perhaps the moisture in the air causes this problem, but you can try and see the results. Also check the datasheet or post it here please.

1-3-2-4

Joined Dec 26, 2008
It's not really a datasheet that I can find maybe I could it's a baby bottle warmer with touch buttons it seems to be rebranded it has the model on the underside but I don't know if that changes under the different brands.

1-3-2-4

Joined Dec 26, 2008
Ok just did another test it indeed is the heat effecting the way the touch buttons work when it cools down a bit I have no issues but right after nothing really works right.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Can you cool it in some way, like a computer DC fan or a heatsink with a fan? It is recommended to wire the fan to a USB cable and test it without stopping it for a week first, then install it where ever you want. Since you said "baby" I am careful not to burn something.