Can't see folders/files in 'save' screens win10

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
For 2-3 days now in win10, if I go to save something in a program, like a webpage, LTspice file, paint file, I get the save file box appear, but it doesn't show any files or directories
98b096ce-b7f8-46e0-ad64-a7988dfba176.png

If I click open file in programs, it's fine.
I tried this solution and it did nothing
https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/save-as-dialog-empty-grayed-out/

Any idea's ? I never changed anything lately, whatever update/etc did this was nothing I messed with.

402DF855

Joined Feb 9, 2013
I'd guess type c:\ and enter, don't they show up? It appears it defaults to Users\Florence\Pictures, but you should be able to direct it to the root. Not sure why the left side doesn't show This PC but, try it.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
no win10 starts searching past save names in a dropdown list in the filename field

I can save the files tho, and I just noticed I can get to the drive/dir I want by using the very top field, it's way slower method tho

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I never changed anything lately
Not knowingly at least, but an inadvertent mouse scroll/click can do unexpected things.
Try clicking the 'Hide folders' button. That might reset things to normal.
I see your window has a 'Tools' button too (I've not seen one in that location before). What does that offer?
Come to think of it, I've never seen a 'File Save' window. If I save a file for the first time I get a 'Save As' window. For subsequent saves of that file I don't get any window.

Last edited:

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
No that just hides what should be the view of folders.
That pictures not mine, I don't have tools listed either, at least not in firefox

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi DV,
Have you tried checking win10.?
Using: dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
If you are the Administrator, Use CMD command, locate the System32 folder and type in the above string.
It will take a while to check and restore, but it will often fix a fault.

E