Can't rotate components in LTSpice

carlmart

Joined Jul 14, 2010
Since yesterday I don't seem to be able to rotate or swap components in LTSpice using Crl+R or Ctrl-E.

When I press those keys the component doesn't move.

What might be happening and how I solve it?

Thanks!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Have you tried closing LTSpice completely, relaunching it, and the trying it in a new schematic?

If that works, then see if it works in the schematic you are working on now. If it does, then problem was that LTSpice needed a reboot. If it doesn't, then there is a problem with your schematic file. You may or may not be able to fix it and might have to redo it from scratch.

If that doesn't work, then reboot the machine and see if that solves it.

If that doesn't work, then uninstall and reinstall LTSpice.

I had an issue with Chrome and AAC last week where I couldn't add special symbols (like Ω) using the ALT key and number pad. I could still do it in other applications, like Excel. Closing and relaunching Chrome did nothing to address it. So I lived with it because I hate rebooting my machine. I finally had to for other reasons, and now everything works.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm not sure exactly what @ericgibbs is trying to point out. You are using the default shortcuts. But checking what your shortcuts are set to is a good idea since perhaps something happened to change them. Even if they look okay, hit the button to set them back to the defaults. My guess is that this is NOT the problem, but it's worth the effort to check and try.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi W,
It is just possible that while using LTS he has hit a key combination that has changed the Reset options.

It will take a couple of seconds to check that possibility, by looking and Resetting shortcuts.
E

carlmart

Joined Jul 14, 2010
I'm not sure exactly what @ericgibbs is trying to point out. You are using the default shortcuts. But checking what your shortcuts are set to is a good idea since perhaps something happened to change them. Even if they look okay, hit the button to set them back to the defaults. My guess is that this is NOT the problem, but it's worth the effort to check and try.
As you said, nothing changed by doing what Eric suggested.

I did all that was suggested: uninstalled LTS, rebooted, reinstalled it. And the problem didn't go.

Though Ctrl+E is now working. Ctrl+R is not. Which is the most useful.

I also tried with LTS IV and the problem remains.

My laptop, which is just tried, doesn't have that problem.

My only guess is that latest Windows update might have changed something, but the laptop had that update too and things are fine.

I feel completely lost, because it's a very important operation when you use LTS.

Now I tried something which makes me guess it might be something related with the OS.

I have an SSD, which the one I previously used as C on my PC, and now use it externally to keep files on. Well, there's a working LTS installation there. Running LTS from it, the Ctrl+R doesn't work.

So I moved the external SSD to my laptop, run LTS from the SSD and Ctrl+R works fine.

What should I do? Reinstall Windows?

carlmart

Joined Jul 14, 2010
This is a long shot, but try swapping the keyboard.
I did something bolder. I booted the desktop using another SSD.

Then put the original boot SSD on an external box. Then I run LTS from both SSDs: the new boot one and the old boot one. Keyboard was the same.

It worked perfectly with both. So hardware is not the issue. Or the LTS programs installed on the original SSD or the asc files I was loading on LTS. Everything worked as it should, including Ctrl+R.

What other proofs do you need?

My only idea is that something in the original SSD software is affecting LTS. The problem is how to find it.

I know what is not, now I need to know what it is.

carlmart

Joined Jul 14, 2010
hi carl.
Try temporary fix.
F7 select a component, use the upper menu line Em E3, ref my image.
Does that work.?
E
View attachment 284049
Right now I can't try it, as I am updating the Windows in the older SSD. It's always good to have a backup windows, like this one I have.
It served to prove a point, as described above. But when I get back to my usual assembly I will try what you said.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Since yesterday I don't seem to be able to rotate or swap components in LTSpice using Crl+R or Ctrl-E.
I've had this problem with the older version of LTspice I use from time to time. This always happened when I was placing the component. My workaround was to place the component, then select it again and rotate and flip will work. I've never had to close/reopen the program or reboot the computer. It just stops working sometimes but will usually start working later in that session.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
hi carl.
Try temporary fix.
F7 select a component, use the upper menu line Em E3, ref my image.
Does that work.?
E
View attachment 284049
[HIJACK]
So I've never used those tool bar methods. When I select a component (say with F7), then if I move the mouse, it moves the components. That's not a problem when I can use the keyboard to rotate and mirror. But how do I make it so that I can either use the mouse to select the icons from the tool bar or, as an alternative, use the drop down menu? I can move the mouse up to the point that I can select the icons or the menu, but doing so also moves the component up on the schematic and usually pans the schematic so that the component ends well away from where it is supposed to be and I have to zoom out and then move the component roughly back where it belongs and then zoom back in and move it to it's correct position.

How do I just select a component in such a way that movement of the mouse doesn't directly affect the component?
[/HIJACK]