Can't find the resistor value.

rahul411

Joined Feb 19, 2018
It might be worth checking ZD2 and U2, this is an Overvoltage protection zener and opto-coupler, to prove it faulty lift out one leg of the zener, and see if it stops ticking.
Its still ticking...
I think I should drop this repair project now. Invested too much time with no success till but learned too many lessons.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
This is why i give myself an hour to fix an smpsu, then it becomes Uneconomical, better to bin it now than getting sucked in with it..

Don't feel let down because you can't fix it, some you win some you loose...

God loves a tryer...

Last edited:

rahul411

Joined Feb 19, 2018
I wasn't knowing the how the transformer was wound and multimeter didn't helped either because of too low resistances. So i drew it as it is numbering the pins.

rahul411

Joined Feb 19, 2018
The tag X1 is on pin1 of U1 and not after R14, although R14 is a zero ohm resistor it won't matter much anyways.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Now I am wondering if this supply is like a computer supply in needing some minimum load. An automotive headlamp with one section burned out, or a couple of them, should be a load of half the rating and ought to be good enough. That may or not give a clue and it should be easy to try. Another thing to do is to monitor the voltage across that filter capacitor after the bridge, which I am guessing is the big one on the board. If that voltage varies in time with the clicking let us know.

Last edited:

rahul411

Joined Feb 19, 2018
Now I am wondering if this supply is like a computer supply in needing some minimum load. An automotive headlamp with one section burned out, or a couple of them, should be a load of half the rating and ought to be good enough. That may or not give a clue and it should be easy to try.
Actually i have tried by connecting simple dc bulb to it... The 7.21 volts that is on output it drops to zero after loading. So i thought there must be something wrong with the feedback so i replaced tl431 after that alteration this ticking thing happened.

rahul411

Joined Feb 19, 2018
Another thing to do is to monitor the voltage across that filter capacitor after the bridge, which I am guessing is the big one on the board. If that voltage varies in time with the clicking let us know.
Around 150 volts on each caps and its going up n down 2 volts.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Looks a strange set up on pins 2, 3,. The TL431 opto usually goes to pin 2 Vfb directly no Q2??, and over voltage goes to the same pin, R11 from the output doesn't look right going to pin3 Cfb (Current) you may have drawn it wrong..

Good attempt well done for re-engineering, as a try remove the output Collectors of the opto-couplers, and see if it stops ticking and you should get maximum voltage output, then put back the TL431 opto, see what happens?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Good attempt well done for re-engineering, as a try remove the output Collectors of the opto-couplers, and see if it stops ticking and you should get maximum voltage output, then put back the TL431 opto, see what happens?
Then the output voltage may get very high, especially with no load, and convert the output capacitors into mortars - ka-boom.

rahul411

Joined Feb 19, 2018
I thought the same thing... If there wouldn't be any feedback then there is nothing to limit the duty cycle and the output will go as high as it can and may eventually burn things up.