Can't decode this cap

All8s

Joined Mar 7, 2024
Tried using the resources on the net but this cap doesn't seem to fit. Funny they have all the room in the world to print on it but can't use simple terms. I isolated the cap and it measures 1 nF. This cap is located on a DC motor for a cars door lock actuator. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Usually, on caps like this, the value is indicated by the three-digit number in pF. So this would be 105 -> 10 followed by 5 zeroes (similar to how the resistor color coding works) making it 1E6 pF, which would be 1 µF.

But you are saying that it measures at 1 nF.

How sure are you of that measurement?

The K20 possibly indicates the tempco, but not at all sure of that.

The 9614 is likely a date code, perhaps the 14th week of 1996.

My best guess is that it is a ceramic capacitor.

All8s

Joined Mar 7, 2024
The first was a multimeter (UT58D), and now tried with a dedicated capacitance meter (A6013L) it reads 1.15 nF. Both are china meters.

Do caps fail with a higher reading? Right now with the door lock actuator mechanically good but not able to do its job with the pulse it gets, I might change it out with one closer to 1 uF if I have it and test it out.

What purpose does the cap in parallel with the actuator motor achieve? Does it give the motor a little more energy or does it just short any noise from the motor?

All8s

Joined Mar 7, 2024
You read that sqiggle as a '1' ? its more of an S on another S. § but not quite. Why do they do this!?

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
K20 is often seen on MOV type of devices (or MLV). Seems too small to be a MOV by the looks in the picture however.
Agree that the 9614 is likely a date code.
But I've found one example of Epcos "S05K20" which is a 20VAC MOV, 5mm in diameter (or lead spacing?).
Logo on device may be Siemens, but may be also a SIOV-S05K20
Most MOV will exhibit some capacitance.

Last edited:

All8s

Joined Mar 7, 2024
Lead spacing is 4mm and the body is 6mm.

Yeah an MOV sounds more probable. Not having specs and a test bench I probably won't be able to test it.

Thanks people! I'll do a little searching on what's available, if its cheap I might replace it for fun.

All8s

Joined Mar 7, 2024
Was trying to test its resistance and even if it had some conductivity and it does not. Reading about the MOV, it needs a very small current to come alive to be conductive.