Cannot get a 555 timer chip to work on a breadboard

J_Rod

Joined Nov 4, 2014
The chip I am trying to use (picture with astable mode diagrams):
http://www.555-timer-circuits.com/operating-modes.html
Here is my breadboard so far with this timer 555 chip:
555 circuit.jpg
I want to use astable mode, but am unsure how to proceed. I want to drive a clock pulse to some
D flip flops on the breadboard. No one ever taught me how to hook up capacitors and resistors on the breadboard and I am no self teacher. I used a logic probe, but there is no pulsing output at pin 3 like I think there should be, just low voltage. For R1: 220ohm, R2:100k ohm, C: 10uF, second capacitor: 0.01uF. Again there is no output at all, low voltage, and also 220ohm resistor is heating rapidly.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
It looks like both legs of the 0.01uF capacitor are in the same row, effectively shorting it out. Hard to tell from the picture.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
This is how you made the circuit.

Note that I had to use three wires to make it from pin 2 to the timing capacitor where you just looped over to it.

You have the 220 resistor going from pin 7 to ground.

on edit, added your picture ... just the 555

Attachments

Last edited:

J_Rod

Joined Nov 4, 2014
Attached is one way. I'll look at your picture closer to check for errors.
Oh my gosh, thanks so much this solution works! It's so cool because I used the logic probe to check and it is switching at pin 3 from high to low.

J_Rod

Joined Nov 4, 2014
Your wiring and eventual troubleshooting, is made easier IF you route your wires neatly.

That is the lesson you just learned.
Yeah, definitely will need to make my board neater for future projects. I try to reuse wires so I don't cut them up too small, or bend the edges at right angles, but I guess that's fine to bend them like that so they are lower to the board?

This might belong in another thread but it's related... so, all rows on the breadboard in between positive and negative columns are like a single wire? Also, why do we have to place DIL chips across the gap between the rows? Is it because there cannot be multiple inputs to a pin?