Can you really create an electrical current with magnetics and copper coil?

quarinteen

Joined Sep 17, 2020
Hello, I am trying to find an education experiment for my daughter to generate an electric current with magnets and copper coils. If you search youtube for "magnetic electricity experiments" or "free energy experiment" there are donzens if not hundreds of fake videos and they are all clearly posted by the same person. You can tell by the hands. So is this even possible or is it all BS?

scorbin1

Joined Dec 24, 2019
Here are a couple links to howto's to do exactly that. And just an fyi, none of these qualify as "free energy" experiments or devices. There isn't really such a thing as free energy as energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only converted. It's been theorized and attempted but until we come up with superconductors that operate at room temperature we aren't even close. Many people will try to sell you on free energy designs but it's all snake oil so far.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Eng...u place the copper,screw, and into the magnet.

https://www.education.com/science-fair/article/no-frills-motor/

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
People over there with obvious hands from there get paid by You Tube each time somebody views the ads in their fake videos.
An ordinary DC motor is a generator when it is turned because it has magnets and copper coils.

The electric current produced is not "free energy" because it takes work to turn the generator and the higher is the current then the harder it is to turn the generator. The electric motors that drive an Electric Vehicle are generators charging the battery when used for braking the vehicle.

scorbin1

Joined Dec 24, 2019
I apologize, I just realized I posted links to create a motor, not a generator. A generator is really just a motor in reverse. Spin the motor with something and electricity will be generated as opposed to applying electricity and motion is generated. The same principals apply. If you can modify the experiments above to somehow let the coil be turned by hand, or even rotate the magnet in proximity to the coil, you should generate voltage. Seems generator experiement howtos are no where near as plentiful as motor experiment howtos.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Some of the most popular science fair projects that were around when I was a kid (a really long time ago) still persist today. Among them electric motor projects from the crudest to more sophisticated versions. As mentioned if we spin a home brew permanent electro motor project backwards we get a simple generator project. Making a motor or generator is relatively easy, having the kid explain why it does what it does is a bit more complicated. :)

Ron

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Inside a DC motor with a permanent magnet is a coil of wire. In fact, there are multiple coils. These coils are connected through a commutator which switches each coil section on one at a time. Actually, due to crossover of the commutator, you can actually have two coils on at once. Typical hobby motor consists of 3 coils.

IF you make that motor spin by mechanical means it will act like a generator. The attached video shows exactly that. Though the video is meant to address the myth of free electricity, the demonstration shows that spinning a coil (motor armature) in the presence of a magnetic field WILL generate electricity. Such motors can be found in small music devices such as CD players and old tape decks. Other sources of motors also exist. But the motor must have a permanent magnet, otherwise it will not work.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
See Flemming's RH and LH rule.!
Also how does the original Edison Wound field DC generator work? ;)
No power attached, just rotate it and it generates power! :cool:
Max.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
@Audioguru again Yeah, just made that video today for the sake of this thread.

I don't care for those "Free Energy" YouTube click-bate sites. They get you to look. Even if you KNOW it's bogus, they still get you to click just to see what scam they're trying to pull. And they get paid for the number of visits they get. I don't get paid for having anyone visit my videos. Would like to figure out how they do it - not asking - so when I get my wood shop up and running I can make videos and have people support me that way.

But yeah, I'm an honest sort of stinker. You can see it in my face.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Hello, I am trying to find an education experiment for my daughter to generate an electric current with magnets and copper coils. If you search youtube for "magnetic electricity experiments" or "free energy experiment" there are donzens if not hundreds of fake videos and they are all clearly posted by the same person. You can tell by the hands. So is this even possible or is it all BS?
Take a bar magnet, and a straw that will fit around it. Wrap transformer wire (or any wire with a non-conductive coating) around it many times. Put a volt meter across the ends of the coil, and then push the magnet in and out of the coil (in and out of the straw) at varying speeds and see what the voltage registers.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I almost posted Boba's answer, but thought a digital meter might not be quick-responding enough to give consistent readings. And good luck finding an analog meter these days.

But wait - there's old school, and then there's *really* old school ...

Instead of a meter, wrap a bunch of turns of thin, insulated wire around a compass. Connect that coil to the one around the tube. Now, when you move the magnet through its coil, the compass needle should deflect. If it doesn't, reverse the magnet.

Welcome to electrical research in the 1800's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanometer#History

ak

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
To demonstrate to your daughter and yourself that you can generate electricity with coils of wire and a magnet, start with two similar smaller DC motors. Connect foot long wires from the terminals on one to the terminals on the other. The hold one motor and spin the shaft with your hand. The other motor should turn a bit. The better the motors are the more movement you get from the second motor.You may need a way toget a better grip on the shaft of the motor you are spinning because it does need to turn fairly fast.
But there you have it: The only source of power being your hand, generating enough power to spin the second motor. And the cool part is that it works in reverse as well. But only with permanent maggnet motors.

It ought to work with two of the brushless DC motors that would use external electronics, as well.