Can you help me with finding this SMD Capacitor?

EE_AAC

Joined Aug 22, 2022
Hello,

I have a guitar wireless (shouldn't matter) and it seems that a capacitor has burned out (picture included). But I am not even 100% sure this is a capacitor, the markings do not look like anything I've seen. The good news is that the PCB has several other devices that appear to be the same thing (That picture included also). But I can't find anything to explain what 22 <CRLF> 10K means, can someone please explain what I need to purchase and how I can go about finding it on a parts website.

If you have a reference for this type of capacitor marking that would be terrific.

Thank you,
JR

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If it is indeed a capacitor, then I would expect it to be a polarized capacitor from the band on one end with a capacitance of 22 μFd, and a voltage rating of 10 VDC and a tolerance indicated by the letter K of ± 10% (Not 100% sure on this one, could depned on the manufacturer)

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Another question would be why that capacitor failed... If something caused it to fail, you may have to troubleshoot the circuit. If the cap is indeed rated 10V, check the voltages around it, if something higher got to it, it may have caused it to fail, along with other components. Start diagnosing with the power supply and rectifier circuit...
If it was "simple" physical damage, then PapaBravo is the one to follow....

EE_AAC

Joined Aug 22, 2022
Yep, I'm not sure much troubleshooting is in my future on this, I'm more of a point to point guy.

I'm probably to go the replace and power again method for now. Whatever that little thing is can't be too expensive. And if it does have a cascade effect to damage other components, well I haven't lost much.

But, I see I have posted in the wrong forum, that there is a "what's this part" topic, I don't know how to move the post. I apologize to those who didn't care to see a part post.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Yep, I'm not sure much troubleshooting is in my future on this, I'm more of a point to point guy.

I'm probably to go the replace and power again method for now. Whatever that little thing is can't be too expensive. And if it does have a cascade effect to damage other components, well I haven't lost much.

But, I see I have posted in the wrong forum, that there is a "what's this part" topic, I don't know how to move the post. I apologize to those who didn't care to see a part post.
Your assumption about the cost may be wildly off the mark. SMD components are usually sold in reels of 3000 pieces. I doubt you would be willing to purchase an entire reel. Some places will cut a strip off of a reel which may include 5-25 parts depending on the vendor. there is usually a significant markup over the 3000-piece price.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You could remove the broken capacitor and see if the unit still works.
You have not told us what the unit does and that is significant.
A photo of the entire board would also tell us much more.

EE_AAC

Joined Aug 22, 2022
Thank you for your responses! Papabravo is 100% correct that when I know what this device is I may find it cost prohibitive to buy a few, but at that point the project just ends.

I had not considered pulling the part to see if it would work, it doesn't power on at this point. As I can't identify what would be test points, I can't say if any electricity gets to the board. If I did pull that part and it powered on, I also don't know how I would interpret this.

I have included the best picture I could take of the board.

Thanks,
JR

Attachments