Can This On Board tv cable socket Be Soldered to From The Top?

abrogard

Joined Dec 20, 2018
Our tv just went bung. The cable socket parted. Not very well made. When I look inside I see there's this tin box thing for surface mounting and I was thinking the exterior would be the earth and somewhere inside would be just one terminal for the data line. Right?

So I could maybe open the top with a pair of sidecutters and solder to the terminal inside and to the case and take the lines clear of all that and put a new socket on somewhere and secure it to the outside of the tv?

That would save the trouble of taking the circuit board right off and trying to desolder the thing and fit a new one.

Much easier.

Just wondered if there's anyone knows these devices and could say if I've got it right? That's it there on the board of course halfway up the left side of the pic. And the other pic is the bit that broke off. Very weak neck I'd say.

p.s. what's the 'hot' and 'cold' on the board mean?

IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0033.JPG

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
p.s. what's the 'hot' and 'cold' on the board mean?
hi,
The terms Hot and Cold are often used to indicate areas on the PCB which have different voltage isolation levels.
Hot usually means its a direct mains connection and if touched can give a lethal shock.
Cold indicates and mains isolated area of the PCB, ie: no direct mains connection.
If you can get access and top solder I would try it, if it works then OK, else the PCB will need removing to add the connector.
E

NV64

Joined Feb 15, 2019
If the disconnected connector is a yellow "Video input", then you can output the connector on the wire. If it is a connector "antenna Input" - possible. But it is necessary to use a special antenna cable. And perhaps the quality of the received signal will be a little worse. In any case, it's worth a try.

abrogard

Joined Dec 20, 2018
the broken connector is an antenna input. I'll use a short length of antenna shielded cable. The signal won't be worse than we were often getting from it before - the slightest disturbance and we'd lose everything - it must have been cracked nearly through for a long time...

I'll cut that thing open today and see what's inside. that's the bit I wonder about. the 'data' (or whatever you call it - signal ?) wire and terminal.

Thanks for the info about 'hot' and 'cold'. I thought that would be the case.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
the broken connector is an antenna input. I'll use a short length of antenna shielded cable. The signal won't be worse than we were often getting from it before - the slightest disturbance and we'd lose everything - it must have been cracked nearly through for a long time...

I'll cut that thing open today and see what's inside. that's the bit I wonder about. the 'data' (or whatever you call it - signal ?) wire and terminal.

Thanks for the info about 'hot' and 'cold'. I thought that would be the case.
I'd be careful about the shield can. It doesn't look like they spent any more money on parts in there than they were forced to, so that shield is doing something. Make sure you can put it back with good electrical connections.