Can this old (2007) webcam still be made to work (Possible Fail... no solution)

John O'C

Joined Mar 22, 2017
Details: PAC7301 VGA Output PC Camera SOC

Can this old (2007) webcam still be made to work, I hate to chuck potentially perfectly good stuff out, if it's reusable.
If I know it is working I will search for a project for it.

It still 'pings' when I plug it into my USB port - but does not show up.

I assume it needs some software driver if is going to work.
I hunted around for some time but failed to find a solution.

Any help appreciated, by a struggling novice.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Details: PAC7301 VGA Output PC Camera SOC

Can this old (2007) webcam still be made to work, I hate to chuck potentially perfectly good stuff out, if it's reusable.
If I know it is working I will search for a project for it.

It still 'pings' when I plug it into my USB port - but does not show up.

I assume it needs some software driver if is going to work.
I hunted around for some time but failed to find a solution.

Any help appreciated, by a struggling novice.
Your success will live or die depending on whether you can find a driver. There are a bunch of free USB Camera driver files out there and I don't think there's any better way to choose one except to just keep trying them.

John O'C

Joined Mar 22, 2017
Your success will live or die depending on whether you can find a driver. There are a bunch of free USB Camera driver files out there and I don't think there's any better way to choose one except to just keep trying them.
Yes, I actually tried some of that before posting, downloaded a couple (Logitech), no success, sadly

John O'C

Joined Mar 22, 2017
I tried 3 of those - 2 just grabbed screen shots from the integrated laptop camera. The other one IP CAMERA VIEWER just locked up.

Am I incorrect in thinking that firstly I need the laptop to see the USB webcam? Do I need some kind of driver?, because although the USB webcam pings when plugged in, there is no other indication that it exists!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Am I incorrect in thinking that firstly I need the laptop to see the USB webcam?
Yes, but without a driver there will be next to zero communication, maybe just an identification of what the device is.
Do I need some kind of driver?
Yup, the system has no idea what to do with it without a driver.
...although the USB webcam pings when plugged in, there is no other indication that it exists!
I've seen that exact scenario when trying to use an old webcam that I couldn't find a driver for.

John O'C

Joined Mar 22, 2017
The only thing close (PAC7302) after a short search is a win 7 64-bit driver for a Japanese device.

Google can translate.
https://www.horic.co.jp/64inst.html

YMMV
I downloaded/installed that file to my laptop.
Then I found where the problematic camera was in Device Manager (grab1)

then tried Update Driver from there, without sucess :-( (grab2)[
grab2.jpg

My mileage is getting very high now.
This may have to be a ....
Possible Fail

unless anyone has any more ideas.

All help to date really appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments