Can staged voltage multipliers be multipliplicative instead of additive?

Robert Clark

Joined Aug 6, 2016
The relative complexities attending implementation of additional power oscillators or 'choppers' (i.e. "DC to AC converters") --prominent among them being greatly increased component count, 'conversion losses' and, hence, overall system mass -- will negate any ostensible 'advantage' attainable thereby -- Moreover, cascades are egregiously lossy under the best conditions -- Ergo my recommendation that you directly produce the requisite p-p EMF (via a power oscillator) then rectify same via a Delon arrangement (as shown in the schematic) such that the output EMF = 2X the transformer's peak output.
Please note that the maximum working EMF of the suggested transformer's EHT winding = 50kV -- Hence (equipped with appropriate rectifier diodes/Caps), the suggested circuit may safely be operated to 100kV @600W continuous (i.e. 100kV @ 6mA) - Said output/performance being far superior to a full wave quadrupler --- Don't get me wrong! Cascades have their place! -Medium and high power EHT systems, however, is not it!:cool:
Very best regards
HP:)
PS
Certainly:) -- Please post, link to a schematic or minutely describe the circuit you wish to simulate -- I feel that's a great idea inasmuch as it will likely 'clear up' any 'communication issues' we may be experiencing:cool:
Voltage multipliers such as the CW are commonly used by experimenters to further ratchet up the voltage even though they routinely also use transformers. These are usually low power experiments. That is most likely the type of experiment I would engage in for such a proof of principle first test.

I'll see what I can come up with for a voltage quadrupler followed by DC-to-AC transformerless inverter circuit.

Bob Clark

Last edited:
These are usually low power experiments. That is most likely be the type of experiment I would engage in such a proof of principle first test.
I don't know about that? -- Based upon the ratios stated in your earlier posts, it would seem you're going to require more power than practically available from a cascade...

I'll see what I can come up with for a voltage quadrupler followed by DC-to-AC transformerless inverter circuit.
If more convenient, you may merely upload a scanned/photographed image of a hand-sketched schematic --- I'll be happy to model it for LtSpice then post the simulation results in image-file format:)

Very best regards
HP:)

Robert Clark

Joined Aug 6, 2016
The reason I wanted to investigate doing it without a transformer is that modern electronic chips have power ratings(watts) to weight(grams) ratios in the range of hundreds to thousands to one. Then this could save significantly on weight if it could be done in a way that does not result in too great a power loss.

In addition to the Greinacher or CW quadrupler, I was thinking of adding a 555 chip based circuit to convert the DC back to AC:

http://www.circuitsgallery.com/2012/09/inverter-circuit-schematic-555-timer2.html

I mean here the part of the circuit aside from the transformer since that is what we are trying to avoid using.
I'm curious of seeing a computer simulation of the case of just a single stage, i.e., a single quadrupler followed by DC-AC converter.
The 555 chip though has limited voltage rating. So I'll make the DC output of the quadrupler be 12VDC since that appears to be the voltage rating of the 555 in this diagram. But a puzzling aspect of the above diagram is the 9V going into the T1 transformer. I assume this is the peak AC voltage input to the transformer. But this means the voltage range peak to peak is 18V. So this would be an increase of the voltage range from 12V for the DC to 18V for the AC. I expected the range peak to peak would stay the same.

In any case an AC peak of 3V input to the quadrupler would give then output a 12V DC, which is then input to the DC-AC converter, resulting in a 9V peak AC output. So how does the simulation of this look?

After that with increasing voltage, we would have to use circuits and chips rated for the higher voltage. The 555 is actually a rather simple circuit. We could then use higher power ratings for the diodes, transistors, resistors and capacitors required to emulate the 555 design with higher power components:

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/waveforms/astable.html

Bob Clark