Can my 1.5 watt solar panel charge an AA battery?

Jules22

Joined Oct 22, 2021
Hi There Knowledgable Ones!

Just to see if it can be done. I have a solar panel outputing 1.5watts ( I do not know the voltage). This powers a small fountain and works really well on sunny days. I had this idea that if I put a rechargable battery (AA x 1, 2 ?? - your advice) in-line, it could be recharging in the daylight hours (and run the fountain) and then the battery (s) could take over for a period of time when it was "dark".

Sorry if this sounds idiotic, but Im not an elecronics guy. Your advice/info woud be appreciated.

Tks Jules

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
If you just put the battery in parallel with the fountain, the fountain would most likely stop. You need to measure the voltage and current if the operating fountain. Then we could tell you if it is feasible and how to do it.

Bob

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

It’s not idiotic but it may be impractical. The 1.5W rating of the cell would be for full sunlight. You’d need to determine the load presented by the fountain, and the load of charging the battery. It is most likely attempting to charge the battery at any reasonable rate would prevent the fountain from operating.

You might be able to add a solar cell and dedicate it to charging the battery.

In any case, you need to know how much power the fountain needs to operate.

[EDIT: typo repair]

Last edited: