Can LTSpice run in real time?

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Like the title says....is it possible?

In other words can you make a 10 second sim run last 10 seconds and display the waveforms as they happen, instead of all at once.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Not in general.
In some particular cases you might be able to adjust the Maximum Timestep command in the Transient Analysis to speed up or slow down the simulation so that it matches real time.

But would would be the purpose?

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi spidey,
I guess you may know that you can 'time' expand a completed plot.?
Use the mouse, left key held down and 'lasso' the section of the plot you wish to expand, release the mouse button.

Do you have an example asc file to post.?
E

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
The ideology behind Spice is that picosecond long process is impossible to see if not freeze it. Therefore everything is fixed `frozen`.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
I can’t use the zoom function because the trace is already across the entire screen, and the timing I need to see is over the entire time. (couple dozen events)

I would post the .asc…but I wouldn’t expect anybody to do the modifications to their program files to actually run and view it.

I think I might try a screen capture program, and try to replay it in slow motion, or figure out some kind of plot overlay.

When I get home from work, I’m going to try and slow down the sim with crutschow’s suggestion.

Thanks for the replies.

PS...I'm very new with LTS so this may just be part of the learning curve (interpreting waveforms)

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I can’t use the zoom function because the trace is already across the entire screen, and the timing I need to see is over the entire time. (couple dozen events)

I would post the .asc…but I wouldn’t expect anybody to do the modifications to their program files to actually run and view it.

I think I might try a screen capture program, and try to replay it in slow motion, or figure out some kind of plot overlay.

When I get home from work, I’m going to try and slow down the sim with crutschow’s suggestion.

Thanks for the replies.

PS...I'm very new with LTS so this may just be part of the learning curve (interpreting waveforms)
Use a .meas statement and it will print out the measurement in the error log. It’s more precise than trying to point with a mouse anyway.

You just need to know what you want to measure.

There is some info in LTspice help.

eT

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Thanks everyone for the advice, I will have to familiarize myself with these dot commands.

So I bypassed the analog section of the circuit and ran only the logic and was able to get a much clearer idea of the timing.

Also rearranged the plots, and that helped.

Thanks again.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Yes, but the question was about the basic functions of the program, there is no problem with the circuits.

And it has been answered.

Thanks again.