Can I use arduino to replace delay pulse generator?

Dong-gyu Jang

Joined Jun 26, 2015
Hello.

I really don't know nuch about arduino but a lot of activities using this make me think one practice question for our physics lab; Can arduino have similar function to our Delay generator like DG535 from stanford research? I want to make simple delay pulse generator which output pulse is 5V 10 us square pulse of 50 Ohm output impedance when it received similar pulse from the other generator (maybe triggering at rise in pulse) or by self triggering.

I want this without always-connection to computer. This circuit must be run alone.

Thans for reading this!

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Generally, a ucomputer can do this, but you need to ask about the time step resolution to which a pulse can be delayed.
Things you need to know:
What is the cpu clock rate for the uc?
How many clock cycles does it take to execute each machine instruction?
How many instructions does it take to recognize an input changed state (trigger pulse)?
How many instructions does it take to change the state of a port pin (delayed output pulse)?
How many instructions does it take to jump back to the beginning to keep looping forever?
How good is the C compiler in translating a simple looping program like If this, then That...