Can I replace a CBB65 capacitor to with a CBB61 - Repairing Dehumidifier

jimslim

Joined Oct 12, 2022
I have a small indoor dehumidifying unit that stopped working. I was able to dismantle it and test the capacitor that starts the compressor motor. I determined it was faulty as it was giving a low reading when measuring the capacitance using a multi-meter with capacitance measuring capabilities. The part that had failed was a round aluminum type CBB65 capcitor, It was rated a 7uF +-5% 450AVC. Having searched for a long time I was not able to find an exact replacement but instead a CBB61 which is a square plastic housing, it is rated exactly the same at 7uF+-5% 450AVC.

I have installed the replacement part and the unit is functioning correctly. Can anyone advise as to whether or not this is safe and suitable to swap the CBB65 with a CBB61?

Thanks very much

original looked like this

replacment looks like this

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

As I see it, the CBB61 has a lower temperature specification.
The CBB61 is rated for 70 degrees as the CBB65 is rated for 85 degrees.

Bertus

jimslim

Joined Oct 12, 2022
Hello,

As I see it, the CBB61 has a lower temperature specification.
The CBB61 is rated for 70 degrees as the CBB65 is rated for 85 degrees.

Bertus
Thanks for the reply, both the oroignal and the replacment have 40/70/21 written on them, which from my understanding means they are both rated for same temperatures. I just wondered if the physical differneces (one being plastic one being aluminum) is likely to be a problem?