Can I replace a .04 amp bulb with a .08 amp bulb on an inst. cluster circuit board?

toomanywires

Joined Aug 21, 2014
This is on a GMC instrument cluster circuit board. A few of the bulbs are burnt out, and I want to replace them - a total of about 7 in all. These are a solder on type mini bulb. The original GM bulb is a 2174 that draws .04 amps. I can get Eiko 2182 that draws .08 amp at a local store but I can't find anyone local who has the 2174. I can order the 2174 on line and pay a high shipping charge.

The 2182 will physically fit the location and I found a reference on line to someone using the 2182 in place of the 2174.

Can anyone tell me what difference if I use the 2182 .08 amp bulb instead of the 2174 .04 amp bulb? Brighter? Dimmer? Will it overload the circuit board or cause any other problems?

Any help appreciated.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
higher current will be brighter and run warmer, if the power supply will take the extra current,and won't burn the display go for it.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You might get away with it, but doing so is not a brilliant solution (did you see the pun?). Engineers (usually) take a huge amount of care in specifying components. Changing to the higher current bulb would likely be to downgrade some part of the design at best, and could result in premature failure.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Personally I'd consider using a LED (plus current-limiting resistor) instead of the bulb.
Have you read the Terms of Service of this site regarding automotive modifications? This thread may be closed by the mods.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Alec had a great idea. The dimmer would still work properly with the LEDs while the double current bulbs might quickly burn it out.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
This is on a GMC instrument cluster circuit board. A few of the bulbs are burnt out, and I want to replace them - a total of about 7 in all. These are a solder on type mini bulb. The original GM bulb is a 2174 that draws .04 amps. I can get Eiko 2182 that draws .08 amp at a local store but I can't find anyone local who has the 2174. I can order the 2174 on line and pay a high shipping charge.

The 2182 will physically fit the location and I found a reference on line to someone using the 2182 in place of the 2174.

Can anyone tell me what difference if I use the 2182 .08 amp bulb instead of the 2174 .04 amp bulb? Brighter? Dimmer? Will it overload the circuit board or cause any other problems?

Any help appreciated.

If I were you, I'd go all LED.:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/

You won't live long enough, to ever have to change lights again.;):cool::D

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The higher current will run hotter (if the bulb is approximately the same size) and may burn or melt the back panel.