Can I get benefit's from use MCB with Fuse ?

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
if I used MCB with fuse, I can have circuit cutted faster when shorted (with Fuse), and cutted faster when overload (with MCB), and I can replace Fuse more safely, because I wire MCB before Fuse, also MCB have greater breaking capacity, 6kA (MCB) vs 150kA (Fuse), so.. in case MCB is faulted and can't cut circuit, fuse is cutted the circuit
Disadvantages : More expensive, need enough space in panel, also need lots of wiring, with MCB or Fuse only, I just use comb busbar, with this system I use comb busbar and wire
Is that a good idea ?
What do you think ?
and Is really Fuse can cut circuit faster than MCB in case of short circuit ?

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
IMHO, abs no real advantage
MCB and a fuse both switch faster the more the over load is
Fuses have a VERY wide range of operation, much harder to tie down than a MCB that is tightly specified.

If you want to spend more on safety

consider multiple RCD's, and multiple MCB , such as

lights on one RCD , multiple MCD
House power on another RCD muliple MCB
Kitchen on another RCD , multiple MCD

Allows you to have very low leekage RCD on the lights,
medium on the kitchen
high on the house power ( depending upon local regulations )

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Think about it: How often have you seen this done?
I have never seen it done with a single fuse in series with a single circuit breaker. I have seen a circuit with one breaker feeding a bank of much lower rated fuses, AND I have seen a single high rated fuse (60 amps) feeding a panel of lower rated breakers.

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Think about it: How often have you seen this done?
Yes it's very uncommon... and do you think why ?, but in my case, I don't want MCB tripped to late and burnt relay, because that's circuit is connected in series with relay, also there is big range choice for fuse in my local area, from 1a to 63a, also same size with MCB
Note : Relay is arduino relay for smart home system, I think that's not industrial grade, currently I use MCB and fuse in series for each circuit with same amps, in my local area fuse is common for things that need's small amps size and need's faster short circuit disconnection, usually panel components like pilot lamp, CT, kwh meter, volt meter, bla bla bla

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, certainly there are very fast fuses available, and the fast ones will protect quite a bit. BUT for a load switched by a relay, consider that the relay must operate and close the circuit first, before any circuit protection device could possibly operate. So if the current is enough to operate a protective device then it is already flowing through the relay contacts.
In that case it will make the most sense to use only a fuse, because a miniature circuit breaker will cost quite a bit more but not provide as good of protection.
It is also possible to design and use current limited circuits in which an over-current is not possible.

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
OK, certainly there are very fast fuses available, and the fast ones will protect quite a bit. BUT for a load switched by a relay, consider that the relay must operate and close the circuit first, before any circuit protection device could possibly operate. So if the current is enough to operate a protective device then it is already flowing through the relay contacts.
In that case it will make the most sense to use only a fuse, because a miniature circuit breaker will cost quite a bit more but not provide as good of protection.
It is also possible to design and use current limited circuits in which an over-current is not possible.
If I don't care about cost, is fuse with MCB a good idea ?

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
If I don't care about cost, is fuse with MCB a good idea ?
I think I'd sum it up as

Its not a bad idea,
in that it will do "no harm"

but its also not likely to do "any good" either.

it just costs money and space to achieve at best , not a lot

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The only possible benefit that I can see is the convenience of being able to switch off the MCB when you need to switch off the power. But if the location is not convenient then there is no benefit.
And certainly there is no benefit in circuit protection if the ratings on both devices are correct.
The correct selection of the device characteristics is important with both fuses and MCB devices. A motor-starting time-lag fuse will not protect semiconductor diodes or transistors because it is made to withstand short overloads. This means that both the current rating and the response times must be selected correctly for the specific application.

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
The only possible benefit that I can see is the convenience of being able to switch off the MCB when you need to switch off the power. But if the location is not convenient then there is no benefit.
And certainly there is no benefit in circuit protection if the ratings on both devices are correct.
The correct selection of the device characteristics is important with both fuses and MCB devices. A motor-starting time-lag fuse will not protect semiconductor diodes or transistors because it is made to withstand short overloads. This means that both the current rating and the response times must be selected correctly for the specific application.
It is good to install 25a MCB per each branch, and specified fuse ?, all circuit branch maximum wire capacity is 34a, and then use fuse for specific load (10a, 6a, ...) ?, MCB is just for switching on/off and for short circuit protection ?, I can safe money if I want upgrade amps I just replace fuse, no needs to replace MCB

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Now the condition is different. If each branch would have 34 amp wires and a 25 amp circuit breaker, and the intention is to protect a load device, then a lower rated fuse may be of some benefit for protecting the load device.
But normally device protection is provided by a fuse or circuit breaker that is part of the device assembly, not a part of the distribution system. That is because the power distribution system usually feeds several loads, and the distribution circuit breakers are rated to protect the wires feeding the outlets and lighting fixtures. Thus there are two different applications entirely. They have different purposes and different locations. It would not be reasonable to put the fuses to protect each device at the main distribution panel if the wires were all that very large size, adequate to carry 34 amps.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
MCB is just for switching on/off
Using a circuit breaker of any type as a switch is kind of a no-no. Many even large breakers have a life time, the number of times they can be blown/turned off and still keep their rating. Then doing it on DC where there is a much bigger chance of an arc between the contacts? If you need a switch use a switch.

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Now the condition is different. If each branch would have 34 amp wires and a 25 amp circuit breaker, and the intention is to protect a load device, then a lower rated fuse may be of some benefit for protecting the load device.
But normally device protection is provided by a fuse or circuit breaker that is part of the device assembly, not a part of the distribution system. That is because the power distribution system usually feeds several loads, and the distribution circuit breakers are rated to protect the wires feeding the outlets and lighting fixtures. Thus there are two different applications entirely. They have different purposes and different locations. It would not be reasonable to put the fuses to protect each device at the main distribution panel if the wires were all that very large size, adequate to carry 34 amps.
No... 34 amps is only 4 square millimeters in my case... It's not very big... Schneider MCB is supported about single 10-16 Square meter solid copper wire

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Shortbus is correct in that using a circuit breaker for a switch will certainly lead to the mechanical failure of the circuit breaker.
So now i must ask just what sort of application is this for? It would offer no benefit t all for residence that people live in, but it may be useful in the electrical repair area of a large factory. It could be of a small benefit in a castle for rulers with very large amounts of money.
There would be no benefit of improved safety from electrical overloads as compared with a correctly designed breakers, or fuses, only electrical system. So for a correctly designed system it would be a poor use of resources, (money).

SB63

Joined Apr 12, 2023
if I used MCB with fuse, I can have circuit cutted faster when shorted (with Fuse), and cutted faster when overload (with MCB), and I can replace Fuse more safely, because I wire MCB before Fuse, also MCB have greater breaking capacity, 6kA (MCB) vs 150kA (Fuse), so.. in case MCB is faulted and can't cut circuit, fuse is cutted the circuit
Disadvantages : More expensive, need enough space in panel, also need lots of wiring, with MCB or Fuse only, I just use comb busbar, with this system I use comb busbar and wire
Is that a good idea ?
What do you think ?
and Is really Fuse can cut circuit faster than MCB in case of short circuit ?
Quite late in joining. But there is one advantage of fuse which is difficult to be overlooked - safety - if a fuse is physically taken out, the line remains isolated and hence an inadvertent flick of finger can't kill a repair person. In Industries, normally this is a common practice or the 'Isolator' is 'Tagged' and locked before maintenance is undertaken (one of the check-points in list) but at home, may be a inline fuse where a chance accident is probable, may be thought of. (There were several cases where MCB of domestic pump-motors were switched on by mistake, and in a few cases it resulted in deaths too)

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
yes they are rare but do exist cases where fuse and breaker are in series (without branching...).

if you want a really specific answer, you need to provide more details with real specs...
such as exact part numbers for MCB and fuse, links to their datasheet, circuit to be protected by them and standard that this is to comply with (country where this is to be used).

both fuses and breakers can have different trip characteristics
fuses are low cost, have wide acceptance, high interrupting capacity etc.
circuit breakers are not always what they seem. some are only rated as supplementary protection and those do require additional protection (such as fuse or properly rated circuit breaker).

also one and same product can have different ratings... one circuit breaker may have different ratings (interrupting capacity etc.) depending on standard used to test it (UL, CSA, CE, whatever).

since you did not provide any details and you only asked it very broadly, there is no way to tell you what is better or allowed in specific case.

you did mention comb busbar. different types exist and again you did not specify details. also there are very few circuits in an average home where current would exceed 20-30Amp. so i am curious about sizing you did.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Circuit breakers in a panel should berated with an interruption capacity suitable for the panel feed, but they do not need to have an interrupting capacity greater than the main circuit breaker, (MCB in my locality), or main fuse. Of course, that is based on the assumption that all of the rating labels reflect the actual performance capability of the device. That is an instance where a main fuse is appropriate with an array of smaller breakers for each branch circuit.
And switching on the power while another is working is why the code in my locality demands a switch in the appliance power feed that is visible to the service person. That is also why every well pump home installation that I have seen or serviced has the pump power feed to an electrical outlet, so that the pump system can be unplugged prior to servicing the motor or the pressure switch. The arrangement is even safer than having a removable fuse, since a determined fool can insert another fuse, or even a coin, in the fuse socket. Fuse removal is not foolproof, it is only fool resistant.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Main NFB's (Non-fused-Breakers) have been used for decades in N.A. in machine control cabinets, they usually replace any fusing, they also have options such as a contact for trip detection and also for remote trip actuation, for example where someone opens an enclosure without first turning off the power, the NFB can be remotely opened if needed.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Max is correct, but he did not mention the resulting difficulty that such arrangements cause in the process of quickly servicing and performing diagnostics on a machine. The "safety" features are included because of the assumption that incompetent, and unknowing, individuals. will be opening the electrical enclosure, and must be protected.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Max is correct, but he did not mention the resulting difficulty that such arrangements cause in the process of quickly servicing and performing diagnostics on a machine.
But generally, service personnel with knowledge of the machine will usually know the location of the (enclosure door et-al) micro-switch and override it for maintenance purposes.
When used, it is usually to protect the uninitiated of being electrocuted, particularly when such as 440v (Canada 600v) is present.
I have never seen it as an issue when servicing a machine. :(