Can I connect a 14V 2A adapter as an input of a solar charger controller (replace solar panel by a DC adapter?) Will it work properly or not?

Mebin778

Joined Mar 30, 2021
Can I connect a 14V 2A adapter as an input of a solar charger controller (replace solar panel by a DC adapter?) Will it work properly or not?

Adapter specs:- Self designed 14v 2A bridge rectifier (with 14v regulator ic)

Solar charge controller specs:- Luminous plastic Solar Charge Controller 6amp Model SCC 1206 Range Name (Solar) Solar Charge Controller Dimensions (LBH) 4.06.013.5 CM Charge Controller Rating 6A@12V Max. supported panel power (Wp) 125Wp@12V Input Voltage Range (Voc) 17V-25V

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
According to your information, it should work but it will depend on what you have the charger connected to. You will definitely not get 6Amps of charging current out of it.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
So instead of having a solar panel provide free electricity from the sun you want to plug in a voltage source to charge batteries?

Well, if that's the plan - yeah, it would work. But one would have to wonder why you are doing this. Perhaps you lost the panel but still have the charge controller and the batteries. ASSUMING you have a 12 volt lead acid battery (or batteries) a 14 volt capable charger will charge the batteries. However, depending on the type of battery(ies) that charger might not be sufficient. IF you had 12V lead acid batteries, they should be charged initially to 14.5 volts for a few minutes, then be maintained at a float voltage of 13.8 volts. The battery nominal voltage for a 12 volt battery is 12.6 volts. Simply charging to that voltage will not restore the charge in a battery.

Batteries have two main characteristics: First, they have a nominal voltage. Second, they have a capacity. Right now on my work bench is a 12V 40AH battery. It has low internal resistance and is intended for assisting starting a car with a weak battery. I don't know its max current output is, but judging from the wires connected to it - it must be fairly high. High enough to boost a weak car battery. But it won't start a car on its own.

That's with Lead Acid batteries. Other batteries associated with solar panels are likely to be Lithium Ion (Li-Ion). They have different charge characteristics. I'm not well versed on their characteristics so I'll leave that to someone who knows more. But two things about Li-Ion batteries - you should never discharge below a certain point and should never charge at a current higher than some pre-determined charge rate. To charge them too fast could result in a spectacular display of smoke and fire.

Batteries are far from what they used to be in my father's day. Back then car batteries could be discharged if you sat them on concrete. I never fully understood that - but today car batteries are unaffected by concrete. Yet, still, I never put car batteries down on concrete. Old habits - - - .

We can better answer your questions if you can provide a little more detail with a bit more clarity. We can answer your question and even point you in possibly a better direction. The people here are generally pretty smart. It's why I come here to get MY questions answered.

Oh, and finally - Welcome to AAC.

Mebin778

Joined Mar 30, 2021
@Tonyr1084 your assumption are almost correct. I think my panel got some problem. I just have some small use of it's power so i think about the dc input connection by a 14v 2A adapter. I don't know if it's work or not so i just posted this for know about it.

More details about it.
I need to power up an internet modem from it and also as a power backup a 12v 7ah leadacid battery to charge on it due to climate some times power failure will occurs in here.

Mebin778

Joined Mar 30, 2021
According to your information, it should work but it will depend on what you have the charger connected to. You will definitely not get 6Amps of charging current out of it.
And i have a not much use of that power from the panel(power up a internet modem of 12v 9w).so i think about connecting a 14v 2a dc source to it for charge up my 12v 7ah lead acid battery. Due to climate here power failure is always happens

I'm going to initially vote "No".

However, I believe there is a correct way to do this.
1. You need a 4-quadrant power supply which is capable of sourcing and sinking current.
2. you set the voltage compliance to the support OC voltage of the fake array.
3. You set the current to be the short circuit current of the fake array.

The 4-quadrant power supply is usually called a "voltage source"