Can anyone identify this transistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spence E

Joined Apr 13, 2015
Trying to diagnose the AC controls on my car. Took the unit out and came across a transistor that read faulty after removing from the circuit. From the research I've done, I'm to believe it's an NPN transistor as that's how it tested. Got a TIP31AG transistor from radioshack. Appears to work, but I don't get the 12v from the transistor that is needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 20150412_221722.jpg

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Trying to diagnose the AC controls on my car. Took the unit out and came across a transistor that read faulty after removing from the circuit. From the research I've done, I'm to believe it's an NPN transistor as that's how it tested. Got a TIP31AG transistor from radioshack. Appears to work, but I don't get the 12v from the transistor that is needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 83952
The A separated from the rest of the number threw me a bit, but it could be a 2SA part - Asian manufacturers usually leave out the 2S part of the number.

Transistors starting with 2SA are usually PNP, and some manufacturers encapsulate PNP parts in that funny blue/green epoxy - but some manufacturers pot their transistors in weird & wonderful colours, so colour isn't an absolute guarantee of polariry.

Spence E

Joined Apr 13, 2015
Thanks for the reply. That is interesting. Its also printed on the bottom of the circuit B C E where the transistor goes.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
8651 looks like a date code: 1986, 51st week of the year.
Most automotive parts are "house numbered", so you cannot find data sheets or cross-reference.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I tried the 2SA and got nothing.
This is part of the automotive controls and I fear to participate because it is against the rules of the site.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Welcome to the AAC forum.

The owners of All About Circuits has elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Terms of Service (ToS).

Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
Automotive modifications
Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
LEDs to mains
Phone jammers
Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
Transformer-less power supplies
Terms of Service (ToS).

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ .

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.