Can anyone identify the type of diode and its company?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Ashish Agarwal 1, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Ashish Agarwal 1

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Can anyone identify the type of diode and its company?

2. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Ashish Agarwal 1 and bertus like this.
  3. Ashish Agarwal 1

Jan 7, 2018
    I don't believe its a general purpose diode because it is connected in reverse direction in the circuit like Zener diode
    and moreover if I give 24Volts to this diode it stops all the voltage and allows only 3.3v to be output across a 100kohm resistor
    and if i give 12volts then also the output is 3.3v across a 100kohm resistor

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  5. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    hi AA,
    All diodes do have reverse leakage current, I = 3.3v/100K is only 33u Amps.

If you think it is a Zener, use a 12Vdc supply and a 1k series resistor, post the voltage you measure across the diode and resistor.

E

6. Ashish Agarwal 1

Jan 7, 2018
    Nope this is also not right - as i said its put in reverse condition
    Input is 12V ~ 36V
    Output is always 3.3v across 100kohm resistance
    check the circuit

7. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    hi,
    I have checked your circuit.
    If the diode was a Zener type, the Zener voltage would be measured across the Zener diode not the series resistors.
    If you always measure 3.3V whatever the voltage input is 12V or 36V, the 3.3V you measure is not from the diode.

Can you tell us what equipment the diode is used in, or a circuit diagram.

8. Ashish Agarwal 1

Jan 7, 2018
    This is an Input to the micro controller pin
    It is used for detecting if 12~36 v are applied on the wire, if yes, then 3.3v is output from this and microcontroller receives high input
    when voltage is removed it receives low input

9. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    hi AA,
    That's more helpful.
    I am familiar with what you trying to do with the micro, is the micro powered from 3.3V and is the micro input from that circuit set for analog or digital input.?
    E

10. Ashish Agarwal 1

Jan 7, 2018
    Commented on the board design

11. Ashish Agarwal 1

Jan 7, 2018
    Yes, Dear, Microcontroller is 3.3v Powered, I am actually trying to understand how is this circuit regulating and providing 3.3v from 12~36v without any mosfet, transistor or zener diode :)

12. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    hi,
    We must be missing something on this circuit layout, I have tried many combinations in the LTSpice simulator.
    I cannot get any circuit using that layout that will give micro high input of 3.3v when the inputs are from 12v through 36v.

If I design a circuit using the methods I normally I use to give a 3.3V signal from 12V though 36v, it would be different to what you have posted.

I will keep looking at the problem.
    E

13. Ashish Agarwal 1

Jan 7, 2018
    In my opinion the only option possible in this scenario is the constant current limiting diode. If we have a constant current then we can have fix voltage drop across the resistor.
    For example if the diode is outputting fix 0.1mA current
    then the voltage drop by 100K resistance would be 10v
    and if the series unknown resistor is of 33K which is possibly the pull down of the microcontroller as per its datasheet
    it will give 3.3 Reference voltage .. no matter whatever voltage you apply on the diode
    but i am not 100% sure about all this

14. Ashish Agarwal 1

Jan 7, 2018
    Constant-current diode
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[​IMG]
    Electric symbol
    Constant-current diode is an electronic device that limits current to a maximum specified value for the device. It is known as current-limiting diode (CLD), current-regulating diode (CRD).

[​IMG]
    Internal structure
    These diodes consist of an n-channel JFET-transistor with the gate shorted to the source, which functions like a two-terminal current limiter or current source (analogous to a voltage-limiting Zener diode). They allow a current through them to rise to a certain value, and then level off at a specific value. Unlike Zener diodes, these diodes keep the current constant instead of the voltage constant. These devices keep the current flowing through them unchanged when the voltage changes. An example is the 1N5312. Note the negative VGS is required, as an example on the n-type junction-gate field-effect transistor 2N5457.

15. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    hi,
    I have been looking through some datasheets, it could be a CC or a Voltage Dependent Resistor.???
    Is there a fault on the micro PCB, that is making you suspect that 'diode'?
    E

16. Ashish Agarwal 1

Jan 7, 2018
    No, its working fine :) its the curiosity of how it is sending 3.3v to the microcontroller which is making me work hard over finding the solution of the puzzle

17. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Please post the pcb with double sides.

18. ian field

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 27, 2012
    The number sort of looks like a Shottky barrier diode, a bit more research to identify it - or take it out and check the Vf with a DMM diode check.

SB diodes are great for protection because they fail short circuit very convincingly if abused.