Can 16 gauge wire safely handle 14v at 25 amps?

Gabethegreat

Joined Sep 8, 2019
Ok so im a truck driver with a rig that runs 14v dc when engine is on. I am looking for something like this but in a 25 amp rating
(Search amazon for "Car Fuse Holder Connector Extension Adapter Mini ATM 32 V 20 Amp 16 gauge 11.5 inch")
Sorry, forum wont let me link the product.
I am going to use about 6 feet total length for circuit. It will go from fuse box (door fuse, 25 amp rating) to an on/off switch so that i can avoid having to pull out the fuse everytime i park. My dog has figured out that if he jumps on the window switch, the window goes down and he jumps out while im sleeping...
Can the 16 gauge wire on that product handle 25amps without getting hot enough to start a fire?
Any help is appreciated!

Gabethegreat

Joined Sep 8, 2019
There is no way I would put 25amps through that (Amazon link).
12ga is 20amps (25amps in an enclosure) , 10 ga 30amps.
Max.
Thats what i was thinking... does anyone know where i could find a similar product for 25 amps? Ive searched the net but cant find anything above 20 amp rating.
If not, can i replace the wiring of that product with 10 gauge wire or do you think the connectors would also heat up too much?
Thx for the quick replies, i really appreciate it! My dog is looking at me... i think he knows what im doing...
844.jpeg

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
You don't have to do any of that I would make a relay that kills the power and adds fuse
all with maybe 100 mA max on the switch.
Like this
like this.png

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The connectors are not rated 20amps.
Do you have a auto wrecker near you?
If so there is usually plenty of harnesses that you could strip.
Max.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
If you posted what truck year and model you could just switch the window relay on and off nothing but a small switch needed
the relay handles the 25 amp LOL

Gabethegreat

Joined Sep 8, 2019
If you posted what truck year and model you could just switch the window relay on and off nothing but a small switch needed
the relay handles the 25 amp LOL
Ok i am driving a 2018 freightliner cascadia and i need to avoid pulling the driver and passenger window fuses. The fuses are rated 25 amps, trucks runs at 14v dc when running, 13v when off.
I like the relay idea, just need specifics since my electronics degree is from 2001 and i remember nothing lol

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
You omit to say where you are ...Alaska , Norway , Finland ...it could handle that current easily .... Saudi Arabia , I wouldn't try it ....

This is all to do with heat dissipation from the wire ....Air temperature has a big effect ....

When current ratings are given they always allow for the most challenging environment , a heat wave and the wire is under a layer of insulation , there is a very big safety margin given....

In your case the wire will not carry current constantly , so impossible for wires to overheat.

Gabethegreat

Joined Sep 8, 2019
You omit to say where you are ...Alaska , Norway , Finland ...it could handle that current easily .... Saudi Arabia , I wouldn't try it ....

This is all to do with heat dissipation from the wire ....Air temperature has a big effect ....

When current ratings are given they always allow for the most challenging environment , a heat wave and the wire is under a layer of insulation , there is a very big safety margin given....

In your case the wire will not carry current constantly , so impossible for wires to overheat.
I drive the 48 states in the U.S., year round