Burnt components on a Tacx Vortex Turbo Trainer

Bazmcc

Joined Jun 14, 2020
I only just found this forum and what an amazing resource. I have so much reading to do.
Firstly i'd like to see if it's possible to fix this turbo trainer circuit board myself before sending it off to be fixed by an expert.

I bought this cheap as a non runner project to either fix or have fixed. It's a Tacx Vortex Smart Turbo Trainer. If anyone else had one and could get pics of the board that would be the best solution but I know there are so many experts on here who could probably direct me to discovering what these components are. Or even to identify by the scorch marks which components have bitten the dust.
If anyone could help with the component identification it would be amazing. I have all my soldering gear and toolkit on standby but i've been out of the electronic game for some years now. Everything is a lot smaller and more compact now compared to stuff i used to work on.

Below are some pictures of what i'm working with.

Attachments

LMS

Joined Jun 28, 2020
I only just found this forum and what an amazing resource. I have so much reading to do.
Firstly i'd like to see if it's possible to fix this turbo trainer circuit board myself before sending it off to be fixed by an expert.

I bought this cheap as a non runner project to either fix or have fixed. It's a Tacx Vortex Smart Turbo Trainer. If anyone else had one and could get pics of the board that would be the best solution but I know there are so many experts on here who could probably direct me to discovering what these components are. Or even to identify by the scorch marks which components have bitten the dust.
If anyone could help with the component identification it would be amazing. I have all my soldering gear and toolkit on standby but i've been out of the electronic game for some years now. Everything is a lot smaller and more compact now compared to stuff i used to work on.

Below are some pictures of what i'm working with.

Hi , have the same board , although missing some of the components, you specified
will list the components and locations below

R57 SMD 3R3 resistor basically 3.3 ohm
R64 no component not sure required worked without it
R65 no component , not sure required worked without it
R32 smd R220 or R 330 is a 0.22 or 0.33 ohm resistor
R83 smd 1000 is 100 ohm resistor
R29 smd 223 is 22k ohm resistor
c9 smd Capacitor 100uf

I would also check the tracks running under the C9 cap , to check if not broken
they both run to the via's just below the R52 silkscreen lettering ,

good luck ,
if you need further info , let me know
regards
Mark

RolandduP

Joined Aug 26, 2021
Hi , have the same board , although missing some of the components, you specified
will list the components and locations below

R57 SMD 3R3 resistor basically 3.3 ohm
R64 no component not sure required worked without it
R65 no component , not sure required worked without it
R32 smd R220 or R 330 is a 0.22 or 0.33 ohm resistor
R83 smd 1000 is 100 ohm resistor
R29 smd 223 is 22k ohm resistor
c9 smd Capacitor 100uf

I would also check the tracks running under the C9 cap , to check if not broken
they both run to the via's just below the R52 silkscreen lettering ,

good luck ,
if you need further info , let me know
regards
Mark
Hi... I have a similar issue with my TACX Vortex. Unit is discontinued so can not find a replacement PC board and need to get fixed by replacing damaged components.
I am looking for component T8... ? Identified all other suspect ones. Do you maybe have the component list or circuit diagram?
Much appreciated!!! You can also mail me<Mod: email Deleted.E >

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

electroNZ

Joined Sep 19, 2021
Thank you Mr Chips. Holding. Thumbs!
I'm also trying to fix my Vortex Smart trainer. This has been a very useful post, I've been able to identify the components to replace. The problem is I keep blowing R32 (330 ohm resistor) From what I can see the mains supply is connected to the common plain which I have never seen before. I can see the diode rectifier and but no regulator, to me it looks like there is 240vDC around the board. Can any one point me in the right direction to fix the unit?

spikey

Joined Oct 29, 2022
Sorry to revive this old thread.

I've been trying to identify the component D9 which I believe is a diode made by ST. It measures a short in both polarity even when removed. Can someone help in providing a link to a datasheet or suggest an alternative replacement?

diode.jpgTacx T2180 Vortex-3 (1) - Copy.png