Burnt component on Gerber Bender GDT 3200 multimeter

Crazycatlady69

Joined Feb 11, 2021
My fiance was testing something a couple weeks ago. I remember it being a plug in outlet on a cord or something. I don't exactly remember what it was, but I do remember asking him if we could use that to test this because I've only ever used a multimeter on DC, & knew that my ex has some other tester that looks just like a plug that you put into an outlet to test AC current. We tried using the multimeter tonight to test an 18 v DeWalt drill battery to see which is the positive and negative terminals & the meter wasn't working right. I switched it over to check 1.5v batteries and it did nothing, showed zeros even after changing the batteries in the meter itself. Then I noticed a burnt component. I'm not any type of electrician, but I do know some things. I like to try to fix this if we can. I have some circuit boards from computers and was wondering if the component could be replaced with one from one of those. Plus I need to know what the component is. It's R27 on the board. Thanks.

Crazycatlady69

Joined Feb 11, 2021
Hello there
Welcome to AAC.:)
R27 is a resistor and that's only because I have a crystal ball. From here on please place a photo so we can see. Thank You.
Oh, I'm sorry, I did wonder if I should put a photo on here, but I guess I just figured if there was anyone with experience to this, (unlike me) that they would probably know by the number & with the model of the meter. & I'm new on here. I just happened to come across this site on a search.

Attachments

Crazycatlady69

Joined Feb 11, 2021
I posted early this morning about a burnt component in our multimeter. I didn't put a picture of that up in my original post tho. I did attach one with a reply to one msg I had gotten, but thought maybe I should put up a newer post with the pic on it to see if I could find out a lil more about fixing it, hoping maybe more ppl would see this post now with the pic. It's R27 on the circuit board, & I'm wondering if I would be able to possiblity find one of these on a circuit board from a computer? As I have several older ones I could take parts from, from modem boards & etc...or basically from any of the circuitry inside one of my old cpu's. Also, does anyone know what would possibly be printed on the top of this so that I know the right one to look for, or any other kind that would be compatible to use? I'd at least like to try to find a piece that will work to replace this one & if I have luck getting this fixed then I have a Pioneer stereo receiver that quit powering on a year ago & I saw a burnt component on that a month ago, & I'll post that next for advice cuz my fiance said he tried to fix that after I saw the area that burnt, but it still has no power. & It was a way better receiver than the other Pioneer I got since. Any advice would be greatly appreciated & then I can give it a shot. I'm kinda stuck doing this myself if I try to fix this cuz my fiance has one blind eye & macular degeneration in his other eye, so he couldn't even see the burnt resistor at first, & says he doesn't think he'll be able to see it well enough to solder another in place if I find one, & I suck at soldering...I need like 6 hands, lol. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Crazycatlady69

Joined Feb 11, 2021
I posted early this morning about a burnt component in our multimeter. I didn't put a picture of that up in my original post tho. I did attach one with a reply to one msg I had gotten, but thought maybe I should put up a newer post with the pic on it to see if I could find out a lil more about fixing it, hoping maybe more ppl would see this post now with the pic. It's R27 on the circuit board, & I'm wondering if I would be able to possiblity find one of these on a circuit board from a computer? As I have several older ones I could take parts from, from modem boards & etc...or basically from any of the circuitry inside one of my old cpu's. Also, does anyone know what would possibly be printed on the top of this so that I know the right one to look for, or any other kind that would be compatible to use? I'd at least like to try to find a piece that will work to replace this one & if I have luck getting this fixed then I have a Pioneer stereo receiver that quit powering on a year ago & I saw a burnt component on that a month ago, & I'll post that next for advice cuz my fiance said he tried to fix that after I saw the area that burnt, but it still has no power. & It was a way better receiver than the other Pioneer I got since. Any advice would be greatly appreciated & then I can give it a shot. I'm kinda stuck doing this myself if I try to fix this cuz my fiance has one blind eye & macular degeneration in his other eye, so he couldn't even see the burnt resistor at first, & says he doesn't think he'll be able to see it well enough to solder another in place if I find one, & I suck at soldering...I need like 6 hands, lol. Thanks in advance. Sorry, that's supposed to say Gardner Bender, that's the correct brand name.

pejayuk

Joined Mar 28, 2020
I'm not really the best person to help as I'm also a novice, but until you hopefully get assistance from one of the many experts on here, this is what I'd say....

The R27 number you have doesn't really help to identify it, apart from that it is a resistor. The 27 is just a reference to its location on the circuit board.

Without a schematic (circuit diagram) I can't see how you can figure out what it is. Your best hope would be if someone also had the same multimeter and would open it up and give you the resistor value. I guess you could try emailing the supplier, a long shot but you never know.
www.gardnerbender.com

Also you need to remember that this may not be the only component that has suffered damage. I believe it is very common for a burnt-out resistor to have been caused by the failure of another component on the board.

I wouldn't worry about trying to use a replacement from an old computer. If you do manage to identify the value of the resistor, you won't have any trouble getting a new one online.

Crazycatlady69

Joined Feb 11, 2021
I'm not really the best person to help as I'm also a novice, but until you hopefully get assistance from one of the many experts on here, this is what I'd say....

The R27 number you have doesn't really help to identify it, apart from that it is a resistor. The 27 is just a reference to its location on the circuit board.

Without a schematic (circuit diagram) I can't see how you can figure out what it is. Your best hope would be if someone also had the same multimeter and would open it up and give you the resistor value. I guess you could try emailing the supplier, a long shot but you never know.
www.gardnerbender.com

Also you need to remember that this may not be the only component that has suffered damage. I believe it is very common for a burnt-out resistor to have been caused by the failure of another component on the board.

I wouldn't worry about trying to use a replacement from an old computer. If you do manage to identify the value of the resistor, you won't have any trouble getting a new one online.
Thank you! Ya, I've been trying to pull up a repair/service manual for this multimeter online, but haven't really had any luck so far. I did find a bunch of PDF'S on the Gardner Bender site but so far doing a search there for a service manual pulled up nothing & so I'm still scrolling thru the entire list of them checking to see if there's anything that might help, but I'm kinda not thinking so & gave up looking last night & went to bed. I'll check a lil more today. We'll pry just end buying a new meter lol, but I just thought we could maybe give it a try to fix it as if we were successful then I thought we'd attempt to fix that Pioneer receiver that I have cuz I'd really like that one working again & know we can't afford a new one of those, cuz we're pretty low income. I really like this site, it's basically the only thing that actually popped up on my search that gave ANY info on circuitry to begin with when trying to find what the resistor in slot R27 was exactly, & I'm pretty impressed with this site, even tho a lot of the info I know is going to be way over my head, lol. Thank you again for your response!

du00000001

Joined Nov 10, 2020
R20A and C13 are showing some signs of potential overload as well (see that haze on the silkscreen?).
I'd expect R27 to have a 3-digit code on it (easy to decode), but capacitors have nothing exempt their color (yellow/beige). And measuring a capacitor's value is quite fancy.

But to be honest: staging repairs of that kind is for the experts. If you have to ask for this number of basics: don't try it.