Building vehicle tracking system

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
I know, there are already many vehicle tracking systems available in the market. I just want to know how does it develops. I want to know about such systems, if we keep it in the car, then we can see location of car on the google map through mobile phone.

I have searched on google and I have find out best way in my searching that if we want to design this type of system then I require micro-controller, GPS receiver and Wifi module. I have wemos D1-ESP8266 board with inbuilt microcontroller. This board will connect device to internet and I think I only need GPS receiver, so GPS is used to find the location of the car.

I am not sure that I only need wemos D1-ESP8266 and GPS receiver to complete this project. Do I need anything else?

I don’t understand how the system will be connect with google map?

Please help me in right direction. Thanks in advance...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I don't think this would be very useful if it relies on Wifi instead of cell service. You'd only get a reading when/if the wifi transmitter is able to sign on to a wifi network. But cell service costs money.

Once connected to the internet, the device can send its position to a website you have created to enable this. Then you can access this from anywhere. I forget how exactly you get a moving dot to appear on a map but it's just a software thing and depends on the mapping app you want to use.

An easy and cheap solution is to just attach an old smartphone to the car. You have to pay for the cell service line but it would do everything you want very well for little or no equipment cost.

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
I don't think this would be very useful if it relies on Wifi instead of cell service. You'd only get a reading when/if the wifi transmitter is able to sign on to a wifi network. But cell service costs money.
I have seen this can be develop with GPS+GSM module. I think in both case, they take same cost. I prefer my method because my device is connected with internet and it can be easily communicate with other internet device (such as smart phone,PC) but device should have internet connection. so I understood this project can be done with both method's.

Once connected to the internet, the device can send its position to a website you have created to enable this. Then you can access this from anywhere. I forget how exactly you get a moving dot to appear on a map but it's just a software thing and depends on the mapping app you want to use..
Now I am confuse only on software programming parts. let's suppose I have hardware ready for tracking the position of the car. I know we have to make make web site but What we will do in web site so that we can see the moving position of the car on google map.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have seen this can be develop with GPS+GSM module. I think in both case, they take same cost. I prefer my method because my device is connected with internet and it can be easily communicate with other internet device (such as smart phone,PC) but device should have internet connection. so I understood this project can be done with both method's.

Now I am confuse only on software programming parts. let's suppose I have hardware ready for tracking the position of the car. I know we have to make make web site but What we will do in web site so that we can see the moving position of the car on google map.
You need to go read about the Google Maps API if that’s the software you want to use. You might find this interesting, also.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Real-Time-GPS-Tracker-with-Integrated-Google-Maps/

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I gone throw this link http://www.nooelec.com/store/skm53.html

I don't have any idea on this GPS system. Does it display map ?

How do we know that this gps system allow to view the maps on android phone or on PC?

Did you read it? It is nothing more than a GPS that connects to a micro controller. You need to supply the map.

Why would you connect one to an Android when an android device likely already has GOS buit in?

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Did you read it? It is nothing more than a GPS that connects to a micro controller. You need to supply the map.
Yes and I have seen some other GPS receiver I have downloaded datasheet also. look at attached document.

I know GPS receiver connect with micro-controller but how do you know that your GPS allow you to view the maps on your PC?

Example : Suppose you have connected GPS receiver with micro-controller and You put this system in your car. Your car has taken someone else and you want to track location of your car on your mobile or PC having internet. there will be requirement of GPS receiver that can be display map on your mobile or PC.

How do we know that your gps able to view the maps on android phone or on PC?

Attachments

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
I know, there are already many vehicle tracking systems available in the market. I just want to know how does it develops. I want to know about such systems, if we keep it in the car, then we can see location of car on the google map through mobile phone.

I have searched on google and I have find out best way in my searching that if we want to design this type of system then I require micro-controller, GPS receiver and Wifi module. I have wemos D1-ESP8266 board with inbuilt microcontroller. This board will connect device to internet and I think I only need GPS receiver, so GPS is used to find the location of the car.

I am not sure that I only need wemos D1-ESP8266 and GPS receiver to complete this project. Do I need anything else?

I don’t understand how the system will be connect with google map?

Please help me in right direction. Thanks in advance...
Be sure it's legal to make something like this in your area- it might not be.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Example : Suppose you have connected GPS receiver with micro-controller and You put this system in your car. Your car has taken someone else and you want to track location of your car on your mobile or PC having internet. there will be requirement of GPS receiver that can be display map on your mobile or PC.
You can’t track anything unless it can broadcast its position to the internet. The most common method is to use cellphone service, since service coverage is pretty good these days. You would still lose the tracking signal when the tracker passes through dead zones. WiFi is cheaper but far more spotty, since you can only connect while in range of an unprotected hot spot. Those are rare. I’m sure there are satellite phone services that would work just about anywhere but they’d be expensive.

Don’t worry about how to view location data on a phone or PC. It’s very easy to overlay onto a map. Take for granted that you can do it and focus your effort on getting the location data from the GPS onto the internet.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yes and I have seen some other GPS receiver I have downloaded datasheet also. look at attached document.

I know GPS receiver connect with micro-controller but how do you know that your GPS allow you to view the maps on your PC?

https://www.lojack.com/

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

As I told you already the GPS does not read maps. all it does it tell you the postilion. You need to provide that somehow. The easy way would have additional circuitry to have the GPS chip / micro talk to a PC or tablet where mapping software is running. Google has an API for just one of the many ways this can be done.

Last edited: