Building the Ideal Electronics Test Lab

Dsv1victor

Joined May 29, 2017
What would you say are the minimum requirements I need to set up my own home electronics tests lab in order to troubleshoot analog and digital circuits of various kinds including audio, PC's, power supplies, experimenting etc.? I will be using space in my garage that already has tools and a tool bench but they are are all for mechanical uses. I am an advanced electronics tech but I would like other tech engineers opinions as well. I don't want to spend to much but then I don't want to come up short if I need something critical either. Your input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Don V.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Inputs, outputs, and what to measure with.
About 3 power supplies, a DVM and an oscilloscope, Signal generator for sine waves and square waves, you pick the frequency range. Lots of things to use the outputs like resistors, speakers, and light bulbs.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

There are no ideal setups or minimum requirements.

I went for many years without an oscilloscope. Now I have half a dozen of them. Same for power supplies and DVM's. As you do things, you'll find that you need something else and you acquire it.

This can be an expensive hobby. The guy who dies with the most toys wins.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I will list the unusual items that one doesn't usually think of:

A long power bar with 6 to 12 outlets
A second power bar with a power switch
Isolation transformer
Electronic circuit breaker that has adjustable current limit and display of peak current. I had to build this myself.
Rework station, vacuum desoldering tool
Heat gun
Dremel tool and PCB carbide bits
Microscope for viewing PCB and small objects
Current tracer
Transistor curve tracer
Battery powered oscilloscope in lieu of isolation transformer
Many cans of freeze mist
IR heat imaging camera