Building own 8051 development kit

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
So guy's I've worked with 8051. It's kinda of my favorite micro-controller. Previously it was my college providing me with development kit & stuff. But now after completing my course had to search job. Now I've found one.
But don't wanna loose touch with micro-controller's & programming.
So I've been thinking of building my own development board with minimal features. Is is ok to build it on bread board or should I use general purpose PCB(Don't worry I know there will be bunch of wires but I'm good with soldering). Or you guys have better ideas??
Here are my interface requirements....
LCD, 7 seg, LED
Some sensors
RF module etc.

Last edited:

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
My first development boards where with varoboard then I shifted to PCB I built my own PCB at home.When I started I was 16 only,but after so many years the varoboard stuffs are still ok and running I didnt thought they will do so great as I have used them a lot.So you could use varoboard to do it.

My first PIC16F84A development board on a varoboard,I did it on 2005 and it still works...

But one thing you cant do high frequency stuff on them as they create many problems I have came accross ,so in that case a properly designed PCB is best.

Good Luck

Attachments

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I had always built my pojects on perf boards with point to point solder termination. But years ago I converted to SMT exclusively, which commanded building my own PCBs. These days I go directly online and order prebuilt systems. Money can't buy time.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
My first home made development board:

My second:

I say go for it. Then you will be using your skills, and maybe learning something new.

This was for the PIC 16f628.

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
My first development boards where with varoboard then I shifted to PCB I built my own PCB at home.When I started I was 16 only,but after so many years the varoboard stuffs are still ok and running I didnt thought they will do so great as I have used them a lot.So you could use varoboard to do it.

My first PIC16F84A development board on a varoboard,I did it on 2005 and it still works...

But one thing you cant do high frequency stuff on them as they create many problems I have came accross ,so in that case a properly designed PCB is best.

Good Luck
Nice board.

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
Please provide me list of components. I always forget something at the time of buying and regret afterwords :(

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
Plus, does anybody has circuit for burning program into 8051? I know I'll need to use max232. And yes I don't have COM port to my PC so how will I interface it with my PC? Is there any COM to USB cable available or will I be doing my own convertor.

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
I guess nobody uses 8051 these day's, because I was expecting loads of posts showing their own boards! Sad!

Last edited:

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
I guess nobody uses 8051 these day's
Most of the time I may use Microchip's PIC , but you guessed wrong ,8051 is still used in many places and in many places it have advantages over other mcu .Their are many specific forums for 8051 you can google for them. Here is one and with an easy ISP programmer.
http://ikalogic.com/isp.php

Good Luck

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Atmel offers a broad range of microcontrollers based on the 8051 instruction set. But packed with a lot modern peripherals. Perhaps that could be an option for you.