Building Helicopter

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That question can't be answered until you tell us what type of engine...
Some examples, diesel, steam, electric, turbine, ram jet, pulse jet, reciprocating (like automotive), reciprocating (like aircraft horizontally opposed) , geared aircraft type, and so forth.

John

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Just for general interest, Rotorway A600 kit helicopter is only $89,730 USD (5943262.06 INR). Lots of nice pictures on the site plus full specifications.

147 horsepower engine
120 mph (193 km/h) top speed.

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Unless you have about $10,000 to spare, have a masters degree in mechanical engineering, and lots of time (probably several years) to put it all together, it's possible. But from what you've told us and from what we've seen, you do not have the money nor the know-how to build a personal helicopter. Sorry.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
Well, if you google "home build helicopter" there are several companies who sell kits that they claim are "easy to build by a competent person." So apart from the cost, it depends on your ability to successfully take on such a project.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A good start would be a model. They are expensive, but nothing like the real deal. They would teach you how to fly a helicopter, which is nothing like an airplane and a skill unto itself. It would also demonstrate the physics of a helicopter.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
He even posted a YouTube somewhere of one of his devices operating, but I couldn't find that post.
It was propeller with BLDC motor.
it was having very good thrust.
The video was deleted by me itself.
I have found this for Robocon 2012 pune national level robotics event where it participated with other college student of different branches.
The motor used was great having lot of power it carry 1 person easy with lithium ion batter at 24V

Attachments

Last edited:

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
What are the rule for helicopter/plane for flying?

Just for general interest, Rotorway A600 kit helicopter is only $89,730 USD (5943262.06 INR). Lots of nice pictures on the site plus full specifications.

147 horsepower engine
120 mph (193 km/h) top speed.
It was good commercial start tutorial.
wit has 2 seated seat.
nowadays a plane/helicopter is on demand whether its air force/commercial use/ etc

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
In the simple model there is sensor based micro controller like gps for position, tilt sensor forgot the name which say in which axis the plane is right now to maintain it in air.
but this mechanical plane how it maintain stable in air it can also rotates/or dis balance.

You might be able to get some help from a member called Billy Mayo, he had alot of information and schematics on aircraft etc. I think the two of you would work really well together, but before doing this I would get a LED sign working first so you can build the instrument panel. I also strongly suggest you get a fire extinguisher, the only other advice would be to make sure you and billy did the test flights together, things can quickly go wrong and an extra pair of hands would help in such situations.

The rest of you owe me big time ;)

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
Mr Sikorsky built his own helicopter.I'm not sure how many years it took but I sure you can do it in half the time with your vast knowledge of aircraft and electronics.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
He also went through the blades on one bucking bronco (an early prototype). It is a miracle he wasn't killed, but got through it without any major injuries.

In fairness, around here lately there has been something of a boon in microlights!! I dont fancy it myself but the kits are very cheap and apparently about as difficult to assemble as a green house!
I live near the Galloway Hills and sea, the favorite spot seems to be near the hill tops, only thing I hat is when they get close and you have that irritating buzzing noise like a moped being flogged to death!

No idea how much they cost but if you have the nerve they are an option on a budget.

Better yet on holiday last year we had a go on the water rocket packs, its like a powerful pump with pipes that hang in the sea and jest of water lift you up, really odd sensation but VERY addictive

Similar to this, but the ones we tried were more like 'Rocket Man' ones https://i.ytimg.com/vi/F0oOm4THAy4/maxresdefault.jpg