Building an exposed light - Please help locating parts Pic included

PotteryGirl

Joined Feb 20, 2018
I'm making my first ceramic lamps and need help locating a part. I have included a photo. The piece I need appears to be a metal cup or ring that threads into a light socket. I need it for my exposed lamp to hold the socket. Does anyone know what this piece is called or do you have any other ideas. My lamps will be completely hollow on the inside and are shaped like doll heads. The idea is for the 'light' to come out of the top of the head but I'm finding it difficult to figure out how to keep the socket in place, without the use of glue. lamp 2.jpglamp.jpg

Thank you!

PotteryGirl

Joined Feb 20, 2018
No I do not believe so. The only socket rings I've yet to find have a very small lip on them. The one in the photos I've provided look like a 1/2'' lip.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Perhaps this is too obvious, but have you searched on "lamp making supplies?"

I have hanging pendant lamps in my home (old fashioned industrial style with ribbed glass shades) and have used Grand Brass for supplies. BP looks interesting too.
http://www.bplampsupply.com/
https://www.grandbrass.com/

What you are looking for might be called a check ring, slip ring, or just bushing. There are only a few common ways I have seen to attach a lamp fitting to ceramic or glass:
1) A ring with thumb screws to catch a lip (usually the bulb hangs down);
2) A sandwich affair where the ceramic lip is clamped between metal or other material plates; and
3) A coarse thread is made in the ceramic and the part that holds the lamp screws into that.

I suspect the second option is what you need. A more detailed picture of what you want showing the disassembled pieces would help.

PotteryGirl

Joined Feb 20, 2018
Perhaps this is too obvious, but have you searched on "lamp making supplies?"

I have hanging pendant lamps in my home (old fashioned industrial style with ribbed glass shades) and have used Grand Brass for supplies. BP looks interesting too.
http://www.bplampsupply.com/
https://www.grandbrass.com/

What you are looking for might be called a check ring, slip ring, or just bushing. There are only a few common ways I have seen to attach a lamp fitting to ceramic or glass:
1) A ring with thumb screws to catch a lip (usually the bulb hangs down);
2) A sandwich affair where the ceramic lip is clamped between metal or other material plates; and
3) A coarse thread is made in the ceramic and the part that holds the lamp screws into that.

I suspect the second option is what you need. A more detailed picture of what you want showing the disassembled pieces would help.
I've been researching lamp parts, supplies, etc for days now. I think sandwiching may be a good and very secure way to hold the socket in place. I emailed Grand Brass yesterday with the same question/picture so hopefully they can assist in finding me something similar. Thank you!

Jonlate

Joined Dec 21, 2017
Aren’t those rings on mr Resistor a bit like the rings that go around a down lighter after you drill the hole through the ceiling?
Google ‘down lighter parts’

Okay those look like the most similar! I wish that shop was in the states though. I've been researching for hours on days.
I am hearing your frustration. This is the first time building these lamps and the first time posting to the site. I hope that you can see that there are plenty of folks willing to help.

I think that your search will be aided by careful specification of dimensions and nomenclature.

So, they are called shade rings and you sound like you are interested in the metal ones.

For size you need to specify what the bulb size is for the socket.

Armed with those key words, you are getting much closer.

Look at this one

And the description here http://www.art-deco-emporium.co.uk/lhe27-rp0-chr

Never mind that you don't need the socket, but note the dimensions. Search for shade ring for (your bulb size, e.g., E27) socket and I think you can get some more relevant results and start looking at dimensions.

It occurs to me, however that the ring will prevent the socket from falling in but what will prevented it from being lifted out? You may still need some adhesive under he ring - no?

Sadly, I doubt that your locals (AC Moore, JOANN Fabrics and Crafts, Michaels or whatever is near you) is going to carry much - they just can't afford to have a huge amount of stock. When I have gone to these to find some simple/novel container to house electronics I leave empty handed mostly.

Hope this helps.

PotteryGirl

Joined Feb 20, 2018
Aren’t those rings on mr Resistor a bit like the rings that go around a down lighter after you drill the hole through the ceiling?
Google ‘down lighter parts’

will do some searching for 'down lighter parts'. The photo of the lamp I posted, it's possible the part is not meant for an exposed lamp as there is a hole in it, maybe for a wall mount or something else. The socket size is E27/E26..My sockets fit both of those sizes.

PotteryGirl

Joined Feb 20, 2018
I am hearing your frustration. This is the first time building these lamps and the first time posting to the site. I hope that you can see that there are plenty of folks willing to help.

I think that your search will be aided by careful specification of dimensions and nomenclature.

So, they are called shade rings and you sound like you are interested in the metal ones.

For size you need to specify what the bulb size is for the socket.

Armed with those key words, you are getting much closer.

Look at this one

And the description here http://www.art-deco-emporium.co.uk/lhe27-rp0-chr

Never mind that you don't need the socket, but note the dimensions. Search for shade ring for (your bulb size, e.g., E27) socket and I think you can get some more relevant results and start looking at dimensions.

It occurs to me, however that the ring will prevent the socket from falling in but what will prevented it from being lifted out? You may still need some adhesive under he ring - no?

Sadly, I doubt that your locals (AC Moore, JOANN Fabrics and Crafts, Michaels or whatever is near you) is going to carry much - they just can't afford to have a huge amount of stock. When I have gone to these to find some simple/novel container to house electronics I leave empty handed mostly.

Hope this helps.
My lamps are horizontal so while you 'could' lift them out, the sockets would't fall out on their own. I still may end up gluing them down just for precaution. You have no idea how much searching I've been doing using a variety of search terms...it caused my head to spin and I finally had to get a break from it yesterday. I for sure want my ceramic lamps to look 'finished'. I think I'll buy a few of the items you all have provided me and see which ones work the best. Still awaiting to hear back from the lamp companies I've emailed in the hopes for further assistance. The ones you linked me looks nice but still U.K. Nothing wrong with that I'm just impatient with shipping when I'm creating new pieces. : ) Thank you all!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Not sure if the previous links covered it but it seems close to the rubber compression fittings for converting bottles into lamps.
These have a small brass nut to compress the rubber into the neck.
A Google of bottle electric lamp converter should bring some up.
Max.

PotteryGirl

Joined Feb 20, 2018
Not sure if the previous links covered it but it seems close to the rubber compression fittings for converting bottles into lamps.
These have a small brass nut to compress the rubber into the neck.
A Google of bottle electric lamp converter should bring some up.
Max.
On it! Thanks for your suggestion. : )