Building an Ethernet to RS485 converter

Kouki507

Joined Sep 11, 2010
Hi everyone,

Part of my final year project i have to build an Ethernet to RS485 converter. I started two days ago so i'm still collecting information. I wanted to know which microcontrollers would be suitable for this application, especially those coming from NEC or Fujitsu.

The final goal is to remote control a personalizable number of I/O components that will be connected to this converter via RS485.

I already started chcking these two: PIC18F97J60, IC ENC28J60

And I have been told about Ethernet controllers from Realtek but i'm not sure if they are suitable for an industrial application.

Anyway, i'm a little bit lost. I've already worked on some PIC16 and PIC18 based applications but i think they were quite simple compared to this.

I hope that was clear enough. If you have any suggestions or want clarifications, i'm all yours.

Thanks everyone.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
They are used to communicate with RS232/485 devices over some distance. If you have access to network. You can connect a unit that will translate data to and from the instrument to a TCP/IP data stream.

Kouki507

Joined Sep 11, 2010
Hi, thanks for your answers.

It seems that a big number of Ethernet controller interface circuits are based on the Microchip Ethernet controller ENC28J60. It seems to work well with different microcontrollers and i have found some example projects so i'm going to focus on this one.

I'll keep you guys updated. I'm still open to any other suggestions.

Kouki507

Joined Sep 11, 2010
Update: I finally chose to work with the ENC28J60 since it's the solution proposed by nearly everyone.

The thing is, the ENC28J60 is supposed to work with nearly every micro controller on the market, if we pay attention to the voltage levels, and i'm kind of forced to use a Fujitsu (MB90543GS) or NEC (still to be determined) micro controller. So i wanted to know if someone have already worked with ENC28J60 mounted to a host controller other than a PIC18 (or bigger).

Are there issues in implementing the Microchip TCP/IP Stack? does it need modifications?

This thread doesn't seem to be very popular, maybe this problem has been solved before? Please let me know guys, i'm really willing to learn a lot from this project.

I'll keep posting updates, maybe this is going to be useful for someone else!​