Building an AC amplifying circuit with a PZT

Ilya Gulko

Joined Jul 13, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am trying to build an AC amplifying circuit using a piezoelectric transformer (PZT). I am using this PZT: https://www.steminc.com/PZT/en/single-layer-piezo-electric-transformer-68-khz.

Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 4.48.06 PM.png

I built a test setup just to confirm that my PZT would actually amplify the input voltage, but it seems like instead of amplifying the voltage, the PZT is reducing it. The voltage supplied to PZT (Vin) is within the specifications of the PZT and at resonant frequency. Here is a schematic of the test circuit:

IMG_6744.JPG

On the schematic, the Vrms measured by Probe 1 (Vin to PZT) is less than the Vrms measured by Probe 2 (Vout from PZT). The signal at both probes is in phase.

I am new to PZTs, and I don't know why the PZT in my circuit does not increase the voltage of input signal. I couldn't find good examples of how to incorporate a PZT into the circuit. I would really appreciate any help!

Thanks so much,
Ilya

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
What are the characteristics of probe 2?
The output capacitance of the PZT is 8pF. Is the probe capacitance much greater than that?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Do you have the PZT correctly mounted at the resonant vibration nodes, as per the datasheet?
What is your output probe impedance?

Ilya Gulko

Joined Jul 13, 2016
Do you have the PZT correctly mounted at the resonant vibration nodes, as per the datasheet?
What is your output probe impedance?
Thanks Alec_t,
The probe 2 impedance is 100MOhm. I am not exactly sure what you mean by "correctly mounted at the resonant vibration nodes". The input AC signal is at the resonant frequency.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I am not exactly sure what you mean by "correctly mounted at the resonant vibration nodes".
The first image in post #1 shows the PZT mounted on a pcb by silicone blobs 13.25 mm from the ends. Those blobs will be at the vibration nodes. Their positions are critical. If your mounting is different, the vibration will likely be heavily damped, resulting in a low output voltage.

Ilya Gulko

Joined Jul 13, 2016
The first image in post #1 shows the PZT mounted on a pcb by silicone blobs 13.25 mm from the ends. Those blobs will be at the vibration nodes. Their positions are critical. If your mounting is different, the vibration will likely be heavily damped, resulting in a low output voltage.
Oh, I see. Yes, my PZT is mounted differently. I just put it snug into a piece of styrofoam and clamped it to a stand. Do you think that has a significant effect?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Yes. The foam would damp the vibration and probably cause a significant shift in the resonant frequency.
This article demonstrates why the mounting is important.

Last edited:

Ilya Gulko

Joined Jul 13, 2016
I think I found the issue. It seems like the PZTs need some kind of load to work properly - there needs to be at least a minute amount of current. I connected the HV output of the PZT to ground through a 1MOhm resistor and got the PZT to actually amplify the signal.