Building a resistor network then build a replacement network

Lennart Lucas

Joined Apr 16, 2017
For an upcoming test we are required to build a resistor network on a breadboard, do some measurements and then work out a replacement network and build that after which we need to do the measurements again to ensure we got it right.

We got an example of what we can expect which made my hair go grey :/ Normally (if i got it right) it should be attached to this post.
This is one similar to the network we are getting on the test, though that one will probably have set values for the resistances and sources.

So my question would be how to go about on simplifying this network?

Attachments

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
For an upcoming test we are required to build a resistor network on a breadboard, do some measurements and then work out a replacement network and build that after which we need to do the measurements again to ensure we got it right.

We got an example of what we can expect which made my hair go grey :/ Normally (if i got it right) it should be attached to this post.
This is one similar to the network we are getting on the test, though that one will probably have set values for the resistances and sources.

You haven't said what is meant by "replacement network". The details are important; otherwise how can a procedure for finding such a replacement be described.

Is the simplified network you must find the "Thevenin" equivalent? Or is it something else?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

I'm assuming (but please confirm) that the "replacement network" is a Thevenin network that is equivalent in terms of voltage/current at the Vuit terminal (to ground).

As long as you think you can accurately construct the given circuit on the breadboard, then you should be completely comfortable with determining the equivalent network. Once built, everything in the red box is irrelevant beyond how it behaves at the Vuit terminal. What would you do if the instructor built the circuit, but a black box over it, and let you make measurements between the Vuit terminal and ground? You should be able to construct the Thevenin equivalent network based on just two measurements. Think about what the whole concept of a Thevenin equivalent of a linear circuit is all about.

Lennart Lucas

Joined Apr 16, 2017
As far as I've understood it we need to use Thevenin.

The main problem I have with this is that I have no idea what to do with the ground in the network.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The ground is simply a symbol that replaces a bunch of wires connecting every node that is connected to that symbol.

It is also a reference node so that if you are asked for the voltage at a particular node, it is understood that what you are really being asked for is the voltage difference between the asked for node and whatever node is connected to the ground symbol.

Don't make it harder than it is.