Building a gps buoy

Spinbuster

Joined May 22, 2021
I am trying to build a buoy that is able to hold its position in the water. Now I am looking for the necessary hardware to make it work. The idea is to make it on an arduino, use a gps module like the SKM53, and a compass like the HMC5883L. What is your opinion about the proposed hardware, do you think something else is necessary?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Spin,
Sounds an interesting project.
Can you say what the operational purpose of the buoy will be.?

Also is it a College assignment.?
E

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I am trying to build a buoy that is able to hold its position in the water. Now I am looking for the necessary hardware to make it work. The idea is to make it on an arduino, use a gps module like the SKM53, and a compass like the HMC5883L. What is your opinion about the proposed hardware, do you think something else is necessary?
Doable. The usual way to do this is with an anchor.
How deep is the water?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The flight control board for drones of the type that includes GPS-based position holding, might offer some insight into algorithms and hardware.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I vaguely recall reading about dynamic positioning of drilling platforms explaining the main components.

I guess it could spark ideas.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
I am also looking for motors for the buoy, I have thought of placing two of them and adjusting the power, what do you think?
Yes?

For example, I find that eating food keeps me alive?

We are not going to give you the answers, try to draw up a block diagram of your best guess for a solution, start by posting that.
People here will give you guidance, not do your work for you.