building a charge dump load set up

aac9876

Joined Dec 9, 2006
I am looking for an easy plan to build a dump load for 1-2 kw , from a wind turbine.
I am interested in air dump with big resistors and a water heating element,, both homemade
and for DC. Also looking for where to buy those big resistors and other parts.
it would be for a 24v turbine .. after the batteries are full.... thanks

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Airplanes "feather" the propellers. Why can't a wind generator's propeller also feather instead of wasting a lot of power?

leftyretro

Joined Nov 25, 2008
Airplanes "feather" the propellers. Why can't a wind generator's propeller also feather instead of wasting a lot of power?
The large professional one that the utilities industry builds and installs do just that. Cost effective homemade DIY and low cost commercial models can't offer that affordability.

It doesn't have to be completely wasted power, the idea that heating water or room air does put the 'dumped' energy to some use most of the time. I guess if you had high ambient summer temperatures along with high winds and fully charged batteries, then dumping the energy is not so useful ;) The thing is if you don't find a load for the power during high winds and low demand, the fan blades can be damaged from overspeeding.

Lefty