Browsing the old internet?

Nathaniel Zhu

Joined Oct 16, 2015
I feel like I've obliviously lived through a very interesting decade without seeing much of it.
I've looked waybackmachine pages but the results aren't what I'm looking for.

I want to view message board threads from the 90's - early 2000's.

Recently, I came across a 2000 thread on "will DVD's replace VHS". The concensus of the thread was that "Not soon".
This is completely fascinating to read about- to see how accurate past predictions are. To study the personalities of the people and how confident, unconfident they are with their predictions.

So I tried setting the google search time limit to before 2000 but none of these types of results came up.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Are you looking for the old "News Groups" before the advent of web HTML sites.
They are probably long gone.:(
Together with BBS (Bulletin Boards).
Max.,

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Try doing searches on some disputed technologies (PMOS vs NMOS, NMOS vs CMOS, CMOS vs Bipolar, Beta vs VHS, anything that interests you).

Try reading old magazines on the subjects. I recently became aware of AmericanRadioHistory.com while I was searching for an old Popular Electronics article; that site has all of the issues.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
I was about to say the same, dig out some electronics magazines from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. It's interesting how quickly we assimilate new technologies and forget how the world was before they existed.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have nostalgia for a few things but old technology is not one of them. I recall fondly going to the pharmacy with dad to test a bag full of tubes from our Zenith TV. Or listening to vinyl records and reel-to-reel tapes in the basement with my brother. Or sniffing that mimeograph solvent when running off copies at school. I feel zero desire to engage in any of those activities again.

This from the guy with an Apple II sitting in his basement.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I gave up on drugstore tube testers when it showed a rf amp to be good, and the glass was broken.:mad:

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Not always.
I hated my job fixing TV's so much that I still occasionally take one out to the concrete and beat it to death with a hammer.:D
Was that the Never Twice the Same Colour sets using delta gun convergence., as opposed to pal. :(

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Was that the Never Twice the Same Colour sets
Kenmores. The TV that got me to believe they go in the trash can at about 7 or 8 years old.
The first time I couldn't get a Zeneth exactly right, it was 13 years old.:eek:
The next TV I bought was a Zeneth.;)
It lasted 23 years.:cool:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The one's the tech's here sought after for themselves was Philips, devil to fix, but blew the others out of the water for resolution.
Sony was also up there.
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
blew the others out of the water for resolution.
I can see the difference in an HD flat screen, really impressive! but not at 9 feet away. Who wants to know if their pores are clean, anyway?
I'm still using a CRT. 32 inch Sanyo. I think it's passing 13 or 14 years now. 1 repair...resolder the video driver chip.
I heard Zeneth went Chynese or something. Brand loyalty is worth nothing in today's world.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I feel like I've obliviously lived through a very interesting decade without seeing much of it.
I've looked waybackmachine pages but the results aren't what I'm looking for.

I want to view message board threads from the 90's - early 2000's.

Recently, I came across a 2000 thread on "will DVD's replace VHS". The concensus of the thread was that "Not soon".
This is completely fascinating to read about- to see how accurate past predictions are. To study the personalities of the people and how confident, unconfident they are with their predictions.

So I tried setting the google search time limit to before 2000 but none of these types of results came up.
Popular Science. They reveled in futuristic concepts.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The Bill Gates comment that he didn't see why anyone would need more than 640KB of memory in a computer didn't make the list...
At the time, most programming was in Assembly and 1mb was considered 'The World' and all you would ever need.!
Max.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
He has admitted that he thought it would be enough for much longer than it was, like 10 years instead of the 5 they actually got. But I'm pretty sure he was completely aware that more would always be better.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
When it comes to old tech people here know where I stand (Z80 anyone?)

Something that I miss and now changing too is the use of cassette tapes. I hate how things are so readily available such as music on youtube and information on-line. So I am taking steps in my life so that I live less like a consumer.

While I await for some parts for my ZBM project I am working on a cassette recording project which will help to create higher quality recordings of music. For example, AC biasing will be added to the audio output to help with hysteresis and filters will be used to help match the audio with the frequency response of a cassette player.

I do miss old tech ALOT. It was less bloated, less intrusive, less complicated and easier to work with. I believe that tech used to be more robust and thus was easier to fix. Stuff would last longer and things would not be thrown out. Look at how many phones people these days can go through.

Because I am using cassettes, switching to linux, using older tech (and upgrading instead of buying new tech), not using facebook and other highly consumer items I personally find my life much better. It is less isolated, less lonely and less bland.