Boston Marathon Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
From the article:

See attached pic. I took this pic with my phone; it is a picture of my mom's laptop, displaying a picture from her camera, showing Lingzi and her friends before the bomb (the 3 girls in leather jackets), next to our TV showing coverage of Lingzi and her friends after the bomb.
That is very sad :(

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
While I'm not positive, I think the person at the very bottom of the picture (in the blue shirt) was Krystle M. Campbell, a 29-year old restaurant manager and one of the three (so far) fatalities.
That is what I was thinking as well.

Very tragic.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
From the article:

See attached pic. I took this pic with my phone; it is a picture of my mom's laptop, displaying a picture from her camera, showing Lingzi and her friends before the bomb (the 3 girls in leather jackets), next to our TV showing coverage of Lingzi and her friends after the bomb.
I know it shouldn't, but the male in me is hit particularly hard whenever a young, attractive girl is killed, particularly in such a violent way. I know it shouldn't matter whether it was a 53-year old grizzled man instead, but it does.

Whoever did this should die by the same, if not slower and even more painful, means.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I was sure the guy that was being wheeled by the guy in the cowboy hat with both legs blown off at the knees wasn't gonna make it. You can see he was litterally sitting on it. His entire face and body were covered in powder burns and legs blown into peices. Just bones and ligements hanging. Most of the news cut the lower half of the photo but since the above photo was shown I'll try to dig it up.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I was sure the guy that was being wheeled by the guy in the cowboy hat with both legs blown off at the knees wasn't gonna make it. You can see he was litterally sitting on it. His entire face and body were covered in powder burns and legs blown into peices. Just bones and ligements hanging. Most of the news cut the lower half of the photo but since the above photo was shown I'll try to dig it up.
I remember seeing that one. Post it as a link, not as an image, so that people can choose if they want to see it or not. It is rather disturbing.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If they controlled the bleeding (almost certainly with tourniquets, in this case), then the leg trauma is pretty straightforward to deal with. The burns were probably first degree, if even that. The big issue would have been head or internal injuries from the shock wave or blunt force trauma from whatever stopped him.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I don't know much about it but I do know each leg has a main artery that if you cut or severe you bleed out in minutes. In this picture pretty much nothing exists where the black box is. Its all just gone.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
All I can find is a censored version but if you look for it I'm sure its floating around. Heres the censored version. Which is still graphic.
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2013/04/16/1226621/284627-boston-marathon.jpg
I found the attached image. You can clearly see the tourniquet on the left leg. I can't tell if the guy in the cowboy hat has a blood pressure cuff bulb in his right hand or not. Despite his civies, he is almost certainly working the race given his name tag and the shirt tag that says, "TRUCK ONE".

The man is definitely lucky to be alive. A point that I am sure will be hard for him to keep in mind at times in the days and months ahead, if not for the rest of his life.

NOTE: I attached the image but didn't realize that it would appear in the post on some people's machines. I have mine configured not to display images and I didn't realize that thumbnails of attached image files are displayed in addition to images that are explicity put into the post. I apologize to anyone that saw it, though the thumbnail kept the graphic nature pretty well muted. I tried zipping it up and attaching that, but it fails (even though zip files are on the list of allowed attachments).

Here is a link to where I found it:

http://img.chinasmack.com/www/wp-co...rathon-bombing-man-missing-leg-wheelchair.jpg

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I found the attached image. You can clearly see the tourniquet on the left leg. I can't tell if the guy in the cowboy hat has a blood pressure cuff bulb in his right hand or not. Despite his civies, he is almost certainly working the race given his name tag and the shirt tag that says, "TRUCK ONE".

The man is definitely lucky to be alive. A point that I am sure will be hard for him to keep in mind at times in the days and months ahead, if not for the rest of his life.

NOTE: I attached the image but didn't realize that it would appear in the post on some people's machines. I have mine configured not to display images and I didn't realize that thumbnails of attached image files are displayed in addition to images that are explicity put into the post. I apologize to anyone that saw it, though the thumbnail kept it down. I tried zipping it up and attaching that, but it fails (even though zip files are on the list of allowed attachments).

Here is a link to where I found it:

http://REMOVEimg.chinasmack.com/www...rathon-bombing-man-missing-leg-wheelchair.jpg
Wow really good photo detective work!

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I don't know much about it but I do know each leg has a main artery that if you cut or severe you bleed out in minutes. In this picture pretty much nothing exists where the black box is. Its all just gone.
It doesn't take long to bleed out. But the body often takes measures to reduce bloodloss (though there's only so much it can do) and it looks like he is holding the main pressure point on the back of his leg. It's possible he controlled the bleeding himself until someone got to him. Or maybe someone just got to him real fast. Given how fast people responded, that seems quite possible. Still, very lucky.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The cowboy lived in hollywood,Fl before moving to Boston,his son was killed in Irag.

He got the news and set V.w. van on fire,he went crazy...now he a hero.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
That explains the name tag -- he was in the VIP stands. And what I thought was a shirt tag that said TRUCK ONE is actually just part of his tee shirt and says RUCK ON. Sucks going blind, but gotta love image magnifiers that have gotten so much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.