Boston Marathon Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I saw a very disturbing image today--a man being rushed away in a wheel chair. His foot was missing and all the flesh was ripped from the bone below the knee. All that was visible was the bone. Absolutely horrifying.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I now realising the magnitude of these explosions...
me too. When I posted this, all i had heard was the initial report which said something like a dozen injuries. It sounded very minor. It was much worse than I initially thought.

I saw that pic too. Disturbing. #12 did you lose a leg? Is that why you talk about having the upper body of a guy who's been on crutches for 25 years?

I just found out that my new neighbor that I've been talking to over the fence for the past few months has a prosthetic leg. He reminds me of that neighbor on that '90s show Home Improvement where you never see anything but the top of his head. Then the other day he asked for a hand moving something so I hopped the fence and there he is with robotic marvel of engineering protruding from the bottom of his basketball shorts. I was caught off guard and in the heat of the moment almost remarked "whoah sweet leg!"

Joined Nov 30, 2010
#12 did you lose a leg? Is that why you talk about having the upper body of a guy who's been on crutches for 25 years
Yes. Nothing so noble as discharging an IED for my country...just a drunk driver, but it cost me 3 months in hospital, 13 months in a cast, and decades of using crutches. I'm actually better off after the amputation. You might say, "Whoah, sweet leg!"

Point is: I know what those survivors are destined for, and it sucks, horribly.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Warning! disturbing image http://www.slate.com/content/dam/sl...honexplosion_13.jpg.CROP.article920-large.jpg

If this wasn't a standard military anti-personnel weapon someone designed this weapon to direct the force and shrapnel mainly at leg-level for quite a distance. To me this shows a detailed knowledge or expertise not normally seen by a crazy with a pipe bomb. I really hope it is some nut-job bomber and not the beginning a series of planned events by trained terrorists.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Point is: I know what those survivors are destined for, and it sucks, horribly.
I haven't experienced it myself, but my father has. He lost his right arm right below the elbow, before I was born. I didn't have to see him go through what was probably the hardest part; the recovery, and learning how to be left handed and one handed at the same time. But I did get to see him go through years of doing anything that anybody else could do, better than most people could do it. He was a huge inspiration to me, mostly because he was my father, but also because I saw him never complain and never use his amputation as a crutch (pardon the usage). Having him as a father, I have trouble feeling sorry for people when they call in to work sick because they broke a toe or something.
If this wasn't a standard military anti-personnel weapon someone designed this weapon to direct the force and shrapnel mainly at leg-level for quite a distance. To me this shows a detailed knowledge or expertise not normally seen by a crazy with a pipe bomb. I really hope it is some nut-job bomber and not the beginning a series of planned events by trained terrorists.
Directing shrapnel at leg level at runners of a marathon, coincidence? Do you think there may have been a specific target? It seems to me that, for maximum theatrical terror effect and also maximum head (leg) count they would blow it up when the runners cross the finish line, but they chose to wait an hour; makes me suspect maybe there was a target.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Directing shrapnel at leg level at runners of a marathon, coincidence? Do you think there may have been a specific target? It seems to me that, for maximum theatrical terror effect and also maximum head (leg) count they would blow it up when the runners cross the finish line, but they chose to wait an hour; makes me suspect maybe there was a target.
More details will come out during the investigation. They will examine the type of device and hope to match it to known devices and narrow the search.

There will be a long while before they know or are willing to release any detailed information. Now is a time to wait, I hope they stop anything that may have been plotted elsewhere. Everyone should remain on high alert for now, and comfort those in need.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It's seems to be very symbolic at a personal level and not directly tied to the US power or political structure but who knows what's in the mind of cold blooded killer. The timing could be due to a large number of factors from simply being late to the event , some security related reason we don't yet know about or they used fixed timers and had to fudge the time to make sure it's wasn't too early in case of a late race start.

edwardholmes91

Joined Feb 25, 2013
My heart and prayers go out to all those involved in this terrible incident. I was at the pub and it was on the international BBC news at about 22:00.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
this is very sad, but IMO terrorists will always be there and exist in each and every state of the USA.
and should be found out and extinguished for the cowards they are, there is no honor in taking of innocent life.

These acts are to destabilize. The more innocent lives taken, the less faith people have in our government and local authorities.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-04-16-12-13-07

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The explosives used in the deadly Boston Marathon bombing were contained in 6-liter pressure cookers and hidden in black duffel bags on the ground, a person briefed on the investigation told The Associated Press on Tuesday.
These types of pressure cooker explosives have been used in Afghanistan, India, Nepal and Pakistan, according to a July 2010 joint FBI and Homeland Security intelligence report. One of the three devices used in the May 2010 Times Square attempted bombing was a pressure cooker, the intelligence report said.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/16/officials-boston-bombs-nail-packed-pressure-cooker/

The construction of the devices, which killed three and injured 176, many of them gravely, showed signs of “training or knowledge,” the official told The Washington Times, confirming an Associated Press story.

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
So matt, what did you learn at school today? Anybody you know directly effected?
None of my students or fellow staff members were directly affected, thankfully. Though two of my students told me they were standing right where the bomb went off, but had decided to go get lunch just minutes before the explosion. They are two very lucky young people, and they realize it.

The university held a brief service in the quad today, a moment of silence in memory of those affected, and there will be a candlelight vigil at the Commons this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.