Boston Marathon Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I didn't have to see him go through what was probably the hardest part; the recovery,

makes me suspect maybe there was a target.
The hardest part is that it never ends. A leg injury causes the less injured side to compensate by growing stronger while the injured side atrophys to a lesser extent. The imbalance of muscle strength caused by inappropriate gait continues for the rest of your life. The stronger side eventually pulls your backbone out of...well, you will need a good chiropractor or a D.O. for the rest of your life.

And the timing makes me thing the perpetrator(s) did not want to be present to control the time of detonation and estimated the time, badly.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
And the timing makes me thing the perpetrator(s) did not want to be present to control the time of detonation.
Good call. Making the get away easier, possibly eliminating discovery.

Hopefully they placed the device and hurried away, it could have been caught on camera.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
My parents just got home and I listened to them tell their story. They are not conspiracy theorists, far from it. But they said that they are 100% convinced that the FBI and law enforcement knew that something was going to happen. My step dad has been running the Boston marathon for years and he said that he has never seen such an overwhelming presence of law enforcement before, during, or after the marathon. He said there were blacked out suburbans everywhere and dogs and handlers. The announcer kept repeating over and over that there was an exercise going on and not to touch the dogs. Immediately after the bombs went off, both their cell phones quit working. The emergency response was waiting right around the corner.

I'm thinking that there was a credible bomb threat made by a legitimate terrorist organization but they did not want to cancel the marathon and appear weak, so they just went ahead as planned, hoping they could stop it before it happened. But of course they are going to continue saying that they don't know who is responsible.

The Celtics/Pacers game has been cancelled and the Bruins game postponed.

Plus the Feds, Homeland Security, NSA and DIA are all over Boston.

Split Infinity

Speaking of missing legs, I had the pleasure of being trained by this guy:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news...-Iraq-Army-Rangers-amputee-Purple-Heart_n.htm

I think that article needs to be required reading for all boys in the US when they turn 16.
I am glad you posted this.

I know a few Soldiers...and I am sure my bud PLAD knows a few as well...that have lost a limb and have fought and worked to learn and have learned how to walk or grab things with an artificial limb.

Many of the Soldiers...and the child of a High School friend is one of them...are going back to Afghanistan for another tour as they have volunteered.

Now that is something.

Split Infinity

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The FBI is asking for any pictures taken at the finish line. My mom showed me all her pictures as I was helping her send them, very eerie. She had a picture of herself standing directly where all the carnage was; if she had taken a picture of her feet, there may have been a bomb duffel bag in the picture. She had pictures of a couple of the severely wounded people before they were wounded, cheering and happy. There were also a number of suspicious looking people; I identified a couple of guys who I am pretty sure are not there for the race - maybe plain clothed cops or agents. Stern looks, black glasses, not paying attention to the race. Could be I'm just paranoid; I'm sure after something like this, many mundane details seem sinister.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Could be I'm just paranoid; I'm sure after something like this, many mundane details seem sinister.
All well and good when there is a crime to sleuth. My worry is, how many of our Constitutional rights will be forfeit as a result of this. I wouldn't be surprised to see a headline that says:

3 teenagers trying to make cherry bombs in a garage sentenced to 300 years for terrorism.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
All well and good when there is a crime to sleuth. My worry is, how many of our Constitutional rights will be forfeit as a result of this. I wouldn't be surprised to see a headline that says:

3 teenagers trying to make cherry bombs in a garage sentenced to 300 years for terrorism.
I know. This sucks so bad. Its a lose-lose situation; either way we lose some freedom. I'm not willing to give up any constitutional rights for government protection, but I also don't want to live in fear of being in too big of a crowd. I guess that's life now. Stay away from crowds, fight attempts to trade freedom for protection. Fight oppression on multiple fronts.

I wonder how the future of sporting events and other mass public gatherings will play out if this continues.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I noticed in one of the images some person is randomly walking along the top of the building. Not sure what they were doing up there in the first place. May be completely legit, just seems a little weird to me....

3008358-poster-boston-marathon-explosion.jpg

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I noticed in one of the images some person is randomly walking along the top of the building. Not sure what they were doing up there in the first place. May be completely legit, just seems a little weird to me....View attachment 54673
I have also seen that. And it looks like some chairs and maybe a table also are placed there. So I guess it is only a roof terrace. It would not strange that someone with access a roof terrace would use that to watch the event

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I have also seen that. And it looks like some chairs and maybe a table also are placed there. So I guess it is only a roof terrace. It would not strange that someone with access a roof terrace would use that to watch the event
That's what I was thinking. I know some restaurants in the area advertise rooftop seating, that may be the case here as well.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Hell FOX news already ruined one poor guys life because he ran away from the bomb full of shrapnel with everyone else but he was a Saudi English student so FOX pretty much was already tying the rope to the tree when the cops finally questioned him and searched his pad and realized he really was just a nerdy student. Honestly the media needs to cool down and verify names. 1. because if you say George D. Stockholmes your actually referring to 100 people. 2. They seem to always get it wrong. Remember for an hour poor adam lanza's bank clerk brother was being reported as the mass shooter. That put his life in real danger.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I do have the video clip of the second explosion. I don't know if anyone wants to watch it or not. It is disturbing, some blood and injured people are shown. If you feel this might be too much for you, please don't watch it. For those who feel the need, here it is:

Explosion on Boylston
I'm working my way through the thread, so don't know if this is obsolete by now. First, I'm glad that (so far in the thread) it appears that Stantor's and DerStrom's family and friends are okay. Hope it stays that way as I read on.

Second, I watch the video and the first thing that caught my eye was how, immediately after the explosion, while most (not all) people were starting to (understandably) run away from the blast, how many police and military and others with the green vests on were moving toward the blast. The other thing I noticed was that it was only a minute or two before other people, just bystanders, started pitching it to move debris and help out. You can bet many of them (not all) were well aware of the possibility, even likelihood, of other explosives nearby designed specifically to target those responding to the first blast.

These are the people that need to be recognized and thanked for their heroism, a word that has, sadly, been diluted of almost all meaning.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
None of my students or fellow staff members were directly affected, thankfully. Though two of my students told me they were standing right where the bomb went off, but had decided to go get lunch just minutes before the explosion. They are two very lucky young people, and they realize it.
Tell them to go to the authorities and give them that information. This will do two things: (1) If someone remembers seeing them leaving the area just before the explosion and gives a good description of them, they will become suspects (and reasonably so). It will get sorted out eventually, but if they go to the authorities first it will get sorted out quicker and will consume fewer resources in the meantime. (2) Even if they didn't see anything noteworthy, the investigators may be able to piece enough together so that something they remember but didn't see as noteworthy might come out of the conversation either now or down the road in some follow-up.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
From the article:
The third victim in Monday's Boston Marathon bombings has been formally identified by Boston University as Lingzi Lu [...] Lu was a graduate student in mathematics and statistics, was one of three friends who watched the race near the finish line.
See attached pic. I took this pic with my phone; it is a picture of my mom's laptop, displaying a picture from her camera, showing Lingzi and her friends before the bomb (the 3 girls in leather jackets), next to our TV showing coverage of Lingzi and her friends after the bomb.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.