Boost Regulator 12 volt to 24 volt issue

amitele

Joined Jul 30, 2016
Hi all,

I am using XL6009 Boost Regulator to convert 12 volt input to 24 volt output (0.5 amp). I came across strange thing as when i am using this regulator from 12 volt DC supply, this regulator is working fine and i am getting perfect 24 volt output with no problem in device operation but when i am using the same regulator using 12 volt battery, voltage is tripping down from 1.6 volt to 2.2 volt. I don't know the reason behind this. Can anyone guide me on this.

PS: please find the attached photograph of boost regulator.

Thank you.

Last edited:

amitele

Joined Jul 30, 2016
Yes battery voltage is the same as the output voltage of boost regulator. i.e 1.6 volt to 2.2 volt

Battery voltage is dropping even when NO load is connected at the output of boost regulator but with power supply i am getting constant 24 volt at the output of boost regulator under NO load and with load.

What could be the possible cause??

amitele

Joined Jul 30, 2016
Bad battery.
What is the battery?
It is a 12 volt lead acid battery. It was reconditioned and then used but the same battery was able to provide power to 5 volt buck regulator (1 amp) along with that it also provide power to 12 volt 1 amp load. Both the load 5 volt and 12 volt of 1 amp each was working absolutely fine. The y it creating a problem in case of 24 volt 0.5 ah boost regulator even when NO load is connected.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
It is a 12 volt lead acid battery. It was reconditioned
And how was it reconditioned and to what Ah capacity and current draw level was it tested at afterwards.

To me this sounds like an obvious battery issue. Either it is way undersized in working amp hour capacity or it has developed a high internal resistance or both which are likely if it was a dead battery that 'who knows what was done to it' before it was 'reconditioned'.

amitele

Joined Jul 30, 2016
Thank you so much.. you were absolutely right.. It was a battery problem. I checked with good battery and it worked perfectly fine..

I have one more question to ask in continuation.. I have two load, one requires more then 12 volt and other less then 12 volt. so can i connect two separate module, one boost regulator and other buck regulator to a single battery..... will both module work from same source or there may be some problem connecting both the module.. I hope you got my point..Its a very basic question but i got a doubt..

NOTE: I have higher AH rating battery, so current is not a problem for me.

Thank you again.