Book recommendation to learn Electrical engineering (EE) from scratch.

Which book is the best for introduction to Electrical Engineering

• The Art of Electronics - by Paul Horowitz, Winfield Hill

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Getting Started in Electronics - by Forrest M.Mims

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Introdution to Electronics - Bobzulinski

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Electronics_for_Dummies - by Gordon McComb, Earl Boysen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All About Circuits Textbook - Lessons in Electric Circuits

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Phong Phan Thanh

Joined Jul 15, 2016
First of all, I know nothing about Electrical engineering, because I'm going to the university a few months from now so I start looking for book to kinda introduce me to EE and also may help me on my study at the university too.

So i found a lot of books free online and start to get confused to choose a book to start with:

The Art of Electronics - by Paul Horowitz, Winfield Hill
Getting Started in Electronics - by Forrest M.Mims
Introdution to Electronics - Bobzulinski
Electronics_for_Dummies - by Gordon McComb, Earl Boysen
All about circuits's text book

I now those book (if not all of them) are really good, so can you guys give me some advice? Like start with which book first, then move on to which one?

Thank you.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
MY best advice is to do all of them in any order and repeat as necessary. It will be 18-24 months before you see an actual EE course if your university is at all similar to the one I went to.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Of the ones you listed, the Forrest Mims book is the most elementary. It will allow you to build some simple circuits and see how some components work together, but there is not much theory. Many people start with it.
The most comprehensive of the books you listed is The Art of Electronics; it is good, but it is expensive.
And of course the All About Circuits book is free on this web site; a pretty good mix of theory and practical circuits.

A lot depends on your aptitude.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
First of all, I know nothing about Electrical engineering, because I'm going to the university a few months from now so I start looking for book to kinda introduce me to EE and also may help me on my study at the university too.

So i found a lot of books free online and start to get confused to choose a book to start with:

The Art of Electronics - by Paul Horowitz, Winfield Hill
Getting Started in Electronics - by Forrest M.Mims
Introdution to Electronics - Bobzulinski
Electronics_for_Dummies - by Gordon McComb, Earl Boysen
All about circuits's text book

I now those book (if not all of them) are really good, so can you guys give me some advice? Like start with which book first, then move on to which one?

Thank you.
Hover your cursor over "Education" on the info bar at the top of this page. The books are pretty basic to start off with - you should make short work of them if they're too simple.

Phong Phan Thanh

Joined Jul 15, 2016
Thank you very much for your answers

MY best advice is to do all of them in any order and repeat as necessary. It will be 18-24 months before you see an actual EE course if your university is at all similar to the one I went to.
I'm going to the Vietnamese - Germany University (VGU), so what exactly will the university teach me in the first 1-2 years?
Or . . . what exactly did the university teach you in the first 1-2 years? (I'm just a little bit curious :))

the Forrest Mims book is the most elementary. It will allow you to build some simple circuits and see how some components work together, but there is not much theory. Many people start with it.
I have also seen a lot of recommendation to use this book as the first book, but there is a opinion from endolith in this topic about the book, saying that there are some information that may lead to miss understanding :( :
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/616/basic-electronics-book/618#618

The most comprehensive of the books you listed is The Art of Electronics;
I founded tons of recommendations about this book, some even described it as the Bible of Electronics.

Also on that link there are lots of replies say that The Art of Electronics is a bit out of date in some sections, and it is also a bit too heavy for a beginner. So can you guys give me some advice on this? :(

it is good, but it is expensive.
I somehow found the 3rd edition of The Art of Electronics free online ;) , so between the 2nd and the 3rd edition, are they the same or which one is better?

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Also on that link there are lots of replies say that The Art of Electronics is a bit out of date in some sections, and it is also a bit too heavy for a beginner. So can you guys give me some advice on this? :(
The material on microcontrollers in the 2nd edition was out of date even when the book was first published, and I found that section essentially useless. That section in the 3rd edition, however, is pretty good.

I somehow found the 3rd edition of The Art of Electronics free online ;) , so between the 2nd and the 3rd edition, are they the same or which one is better?
In my opinion, the 3rd edition is much, MUCH better.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Thank you for your answer! How do you think about this book? Is it good for a beginner, or I may need to already know the basics to fully understand the book and use it effectively?
I think for a beginner, TAoE will be a bit of a challenge; though the first section, Foundations, gives a pretty good introduction especially if you supplement it with the educational material here on AAC and elsewhere on the Internet. I recommend it.

Phong Phan Thanh

Joined Jul 15, 2016
I think for a beginner, TAoE will be a bit of a challenge; though the first section, Foundations, gives a pretty good introduction especially if you supplement it with the educational material here on AAC and elsewhere on the Internet. I recommend it.
Thank you! I think I know how to start learning Electrical Engineering now :)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
In my first two years at the University of Michigan I had Calculus, Differential Equations, Statics, Dynamics, Fluid Dynamics, Strength of Materials, Physics, Chemistry, and Metallurgy. Those were the core courses for all of the Engineering programs. I was in my third year before I took my first circuits class.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Thank you very much for your answers

I'm going to the Vietnamese - Germany University (VGU), so what exactly will the university teach me in the first 1-2 years?
Or . . . what exactly did the university teach you in the first 1-2 years? (I'm just a little bit curious :))

I have also seen a lot of recommendation to use this book as the first book, but there is a opinion from endolith in this topic about the book, saying that there are some information that may lead to miss understanding :( :
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/616/basic-electronics-book/618#618

I founded tons of recommendations about this book, some even described it as the Bible of Electronics.

If you're stating from scratch - that might be a bit dry reading. Which edition is the least of your worries.

The Forrest Mims books are a good introduction. Robert Penfold may have a few books in print - he has a regular column in EPE magazine.