Board Games you like???????

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I thought the key to chess was the ability to see fifty moves in advance.
Usually, only 2, what the opponent may play in response to your move, and how you will respond. Knowing a few openings and how to respond to them as Black and knowing the basic matings in endgames is a definite plus. If you can play into an endgame and are strong on endgame play you have a decided advantage. I would always spend my time waiting on my opponent to move going over his possible moves and what my response to them should be. Time well spent. Expect the unexpected and watch out for those tricky Knights.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Usually, only 2, what the opponent may play in response to your move, and how you will respond. Knowing a few openings and how to respond to them as Black and knowing the basic matings in endgames is a definite plus. If you can play into an endgame and are strong on endgame play you have a decided advantage. I would always spend my time waiting on my opponent to move going over his possible moves and what my response to them should be. Time well spent. Expect the unexpected and watch out for those tricky Knights.
Another of my favorite YouTube channels:

https://www.youtube.com/c/GothamChess

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
So, I’ve always been taught that a knight can move with a single diagonal move with 2 squares forward, however my Grandchildren told me thats no correct, that the knight moves in an L shape not on a diagonal, so who of you were taught to move without the L and just in a single diagonal. Which seems correct to you?

kv

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
So, I’ve always been taught that a knight can move with a single diagonal move with 2 squares forward, however my Grandchildren told me thats no correct, that the knight moves in an L shape not on a diagonal, so who of you were taught to move without the L and just in a single diagonal. Which seems correct to you?

kv
What matters is the range of squares in which a knight can land on. Whether one considers it a 2 squares forward and diagonal or an L shape is just personal visualization.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The Knight, unlike the Bishop, has the ability to move to every square on the board. In fact there are folks who can perform the "Knight's Tour" with a single knight on the bare board, moving consecutively to every square on the board without landing on the same square twice. There are a couple of different ways of valuing the Knight. Some will value the Knight as equal to 2 1/2 Pawns and some will value it at 3 Pawns the same value as the Bishop since it can be moved to any square on the board. The real advantage of the Bishop over the Knight is the range of movement and also that two Bishops and King can perform an endgame mate against a lone King (difficult but possible) whereas the Knight, Bishop, and King mate against a lone King is nearly impossible without stalemating. Also, the Knights range of motion is cut in half at the edge of the board so it should avoid being placed on the edge.

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Ok, did some research on rules again today took the time because I couldn’t work on my garage.

1. Castle ( I didn’t know existed until this discussion here forced me to learn it )
2. En Passant ( Who knew lol )
The diagrams on the right demonstrate an instance of this: if the white pawn moves from a2 to a4, the black pawn on b4 can capture it en passant, moving from b4 to a3 while the white pawn on a4 is removed from the board.
. 1613314293702.png

3. Pawn promotion - never learned that as a kid.

kv

Edit: I also am learning to read the board positions, which I chose my own way to kinda memorize, learn them from Blacks postion, kinda like teaching my girls to drive in reverse first, then forward is a no brainer. The next thing I‘ll work on is an empty board calling out the position without algebraic locations, making it more fluid, last take away the squares and add a cross 4 quadrants by division 4x4 within those locals be able to see them, I’ll try all three and see which seems logical or not, I might throw out the whole lot. Dunno. Thoughts?

kv

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I use an excellent computer version called "The Chess lv. 100". I've used many computer and online chess apps over the years and this is a good free one. Not sure where I got it but most likely from the Microsoft Store online.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I use an excellent computer version called "The Chess lv. 100". I've used many computer and online chess apps over the years and this is a good free one. Not sure where I got it but most likely from the Microsoft Store online.
I forgot to post the correct picture of the “En Passant” that has been corrected to help visualize the move.

Sorry about that,

kv